1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

driveshaft info

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 02:43 PM
glenlloyd
Veteran
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default driveshaft info

Hey all

I noticed in the parts catalog that mopar lists all the driveshafts as single units even though some are actually 2 piece units.

When I was giving some thought to a MT conversion I thought probably that only the forward section of the shaft would need to be changed, but now I'm wondering if they balance the shaft as an assembly (both sections together) versus individual pieces.

Since they're assigned part numbers as complete assemblies I would guess they're balanced as a unit. Any comments on this or contrary opinions about this? Most of the JY's I frequent are upull types and they tend to destroy the rear shafts by lifting the trucks with loader etc. If in fact I do go the route of the MT conversion it would be a lot easier to just locate the forward section that would likely be undamaged.

Thanks
Steve

Old 11-20-2018, 03:25 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

It's one unit for servicing. I don't know if the halves are balanced together or separately.

One dodge would be to get them both balanced after you make sure it all fits.

RwP

Old 11-20-2018, 07:01 PM
glenlloyd
Veteran
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by RalphP
It's one unit for servicing. I don't know if the halves are balanced together or separately.

One dodge would be to get them both balanced after you make sure it all fits.

RwP
Ralph
That's kind of what I had thought, if I could find a 4x2 MT front shaft I could always have the pair balanced at a local drive train shop here. I do know with my current setup there are weights on both sections of the driveshaft.

Steve

Old 11-20-2018, 07:18 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

When I did my MT conversion, I took the whole driveshaft to the driveshaft shop/ and they had to retube the front half (I needed it longer) and did not do any rework to the rear half of the driveshaft other than to rebalance it along with the rebuilt front section. The hanger bearing is in the same location (you aint moving the crossmember, no need to) so what I described would be all that would be needed. Though I usually do all my own U Joints and carrier bearings, I told them to replace em all, while they had the driveshaft. and I told them "no junk"/ so for the front shaft rebuild, rebalance the whole thing and new UJoints and hanger I paid around $240 like 6 years ago. and I never had a vibraition at any speed, never had to replace another Ujoint, in the 72K miles that I put on that truck before the wreck.

Quick Reply: driveshaft info