1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Weird rhythmic bump

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 05:10 PM
harrisriley
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird rhythmic bump

So just recently I noticed a weird rethmic bump in my truck that seems to be coming from the rear end. The truck is a 2wd non limited slip diff. At first I thought the truck had a broken axle but after putting it in the air and spinning one side tire the other turned the opposite direction like normal. I then put the truck under its own power and at idle only one tire rotated. I’m not to sure if that’s normal but again both tires rotated when in park. I also checked both sides for any sign of dragging but couldn’t feel anything abnormal. My only guess is it is something in the front end but I don’t feel in vibration or jerking in the steering wheel. The bump is almost like someone tied a board to the rim of my tire and I’m constantly running over it because it increases with speed.

Old 11-27-2018, 06:51 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Sounds like shifted belt, or separated tread in one of the rear tires. Put it up again, and run your hand along the tread of the tire. A bump like that, you should be able to feel it pretty easy.

Old 05-10-2019, 06:07 PM
harrisriley
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is a little late but i did find what the issue was. my front right tire had a separated belt and tread and ended up letting go on the highway. luckily it caused no damage other than needing a new tire. a few weeks later I discovered that the front left tire was nearing the same fat, with a large bulge in the tread from where there was separation and noticed that the tread pattern was a little wavy side to side. im glad i caught it when i did or else that truck may have found an early grave on the highway.

Quick Reply: Weird rhythmic bump