1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

No power to ecm?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 10:21 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 372 Likes on 343 Posts

A few minor corrections.

Pin C3, ASD Control, goes to ground to turn ON the ASD.

Pin C12, ASD output, goes to 12V when the ASD turns on (so the ECU can monitor the ASD).

A22 is constant 12V; A2 is the signal from the ignition switch that ignition is ON so the ECU can wake up.

Fuel Pump Relay Control should be either 12V or ground when on; I'd expect ground just from how things normally switch, but let me check the FSM ... yep, C19 goes to ground (see page 8W-30-2, upper right side). So you won't see 12V on it while the system is cranking or running.

If the ASD bypass turned on the fuel pump, I'd bet the ECU is working; there may be a problem with the ASD output or the wiring between the PCM and the ASD relay. (ASD isn't connected to the fuel pump directly, according to page 8W-30-10.)

RwP

Old 01-21-2019, 11:32 AM
96daksport
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RalphP
A few minor corrections.

Pin C3, ASD Control, goes to ground to turn ON the ASD.

Pin C12, ASD output, goes to 12V when the ASD turns on (so the ECU can monitor the ASD).

A22 is constant 12V; A2 is the signal from the ignition switch that ignition is ON so the ECU can wake up.

Fuel Pump Relay Control should be either 12V or ground when on; I'd expect ground just from how things normally switch, but let me check the FSM ... yep, C19 goes to ground (see page 8W-30-2, upper right side). So you won't see 12V on it while the system is cranking or running.

If the ASD bypass turned on the fuel pump, I'd bet the ECU is working; there may be a problem with the ASD output or the wiring between the PCM and the ASD relay. (ASD isn't connected to the fuel pump directly, according to page 8W-30-10.)

RwP
I apologize, I didn't specify which relay I closed. I closed the Fuel Pump Relay not the ASD relay to make the fuel pump prime.

Old 01-21-2019, 12:14 PM
RalphP
Champion

Heh. Specifics are somewhat necessary.

Does bypassing the ASD cause the fuel pump relay to kick on?

RwP

Old 01-21-2019, 12:45 PM
96daksport
Amateur

Heh. Specifics are somewhat necessary.

Does bypassing the ASD cause the fuel pump relay to kick on?

RwP
Closing the ASD relay by hand does not cause fuel pump relay to kick on. No sound of fuel pump priming as I did when closing the fuel pump relay. EDIT: Checked both positive terminals for the ASD relay and I am getting a healthy 12V on both. Does that possibly mean the ground path to the ASD is open and/or I have a bad ECM?

Last edited by 96daksport; 01-21-2019 at 12:55 PM.
Old 01-21-2019, 02:25 PM
96daksport
Amateur

UPDATE:
  • A2 is getting a healthy 12V
  • C19 is getting a healthy 12V
  • A22 is getting a healthy 12V
  • Had someone manually close the ASD relay by hand and got a healthy 12V on C3. With the key simply on and no one holding C3 I get nothing
I'm leading towards bad ECU or ground issue?

Old 01-21-2019, 03:32 PM
RalphP
Champion

Well, the ASD won't be turned on until the ECU is either priming the pump (2 secs about) or it's seeing crank or cam pulses (I think cam, I forget which).

So static, no, you wouldn't get a command to close the ASD relay.

C19 will be high until the ECU turns the fuel pump on; but at least you see current through the fuel pump relay coil.

You should ALSO see about 12V on C3 while it's just sitting there; grounding C3 should kick the ASD on.

If you see ground on C3 AND the ASD isn't on, there's your problem.

RwP

Old 01-21-2019, 04:11 PM
96daksport
Amateur

Well, the ASD won't be turned on until the ECU is either priming the pump (2 secs about) or it's seeing crank or cam pulses (I think cam, I forget which).

So static, no, you wouldn't get a command to close the ASD relay.

C19 will be high until the ECU turns the fuel pump on; but at least you see current through the fuel pump relay coil.

You should ALSO see about 12V on C3 while it's just sitting there; grounding C3 should kick the ASD on.

If you see ground on C3 AND the ASD isn't on, there's your problem.

RwP
Re-checked C3, so it looks like even without pressing the relay I am indeed getting 12V as long as the key is in the on position. Key off I get no voltage. Originally I believe I tested C3 with the key off and pressing the ASD relay. FWIW, I even ohm'ed out grounds A31 and A32 to make sure I was getting little to no resistance and those two checked out fine with minimal resistance readings.

Last edited by 96daksport; 01-21-2019 at 04:19 PM.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:25 PM
RalphP
Champion

Well, now, see, C3 is an OUTPUT from the ECU; until it goes to ground, you won't get the ASD kicking on.

Follow the wiring schematics again.

Pressing the relay won't make any difference; it's the signal OUT to control the relay (hence the 'AUTOMATIC SHUT DOWN RELAY CONTROL" name ... )

Does it go to ground while you're cranking? Is there any signal at all on either A8 or A18 while cranking? If one of those is missing (forget which one), it'll never turn the ASD ON ...

RwP

Old 01-21-2019, 04:47 PM
96daksport
Amateur

Well, now, see, C3 is an OUTPUT from the ECU; until it goes to ground, you won't get the ASD kicking on.

Follow the wiring schematics again.

Pressing the relay won't make any difference; it's the signal OUT to control the relay (hence the 'AUTOMATIC SHUT DOWN RELAY CONTROL" name ... )

Does it go to ground while you're cranking? Is there any signal at all on either A8 or A18 while cranking? If one of those is missing (forget which one), it'll never turn the ASD ON ...

RwP
10-4 on the C3/ASD functionality, thank you for the correction.

While cranking, A8 and A18 maintain about 0.64V to 0.74V. With key just on, the voltages are also reading 0.64V - 0.74V for A8 and A18.

Old 01-21-2019, 09:20 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Test for continuity to ground while cranking the engine. If you don't have it, there's the problem.

Quick Reply: No power to ecm?