1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Aftermarket gauges with factory wiring ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 06:36 PM
Roughdraft
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket gauges with factory wiring ?

Hey dodge fans! I am trying to find out the best way to add aftermarket gauges using the factory wiring on a 92 Dakota 5.2. What steps do I need to take to make this happen or is it even possible? I am trying to make a custom dash. Thanks for any help!

Old 02-21-2019, 06:53 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Well, the connectors would be hard to locate.

If you don't mind changing the connectors, I'd grab the factory service manual (Ebay or Bishko's web site; pull the part number from Bishko and if you have a Books-A-Million or Barnes & Nobles or similar in your area, they can order it!) and use that for the color code into the current cluster.

Make your new dash, wire up new connectors to the current wiring, and Robert's your Mother's Brother!

RwP

Old 02-21-2019, 07:50 PM
Roughdraft

I have the wiring diagram already. Was just curious if I can extend the existing wires to new aftermarket gauges and not affect anything else. Thanks for the info!

Old 02-21-2019, 07:52 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

I don't see why not.... I would be tempted to cannibalize a used cluster just for the connector, and wire the new gauge panel to that. Make it plug and play.

Old 02-21-2019, 08:29 PM
RalphP
Champion

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I don't see why not.... I would be tempted to cannibalize a used cluster just for the connector, and wire the new gauge panel to that. Make it plug and play.
Could do that, I guess; I'm just personally opposed to chopping up a good cluster that someone may need in a few years.

Could buy two sets of plugs; put one pair in the truck (male and female), and connect the current plugs to a second set that will connect to what's left in the truck.

One thing to keep in mind, Roughdraft - the tach is driven off the ECU and is 2 pulses per revolution. You probably need to tell your aftermarket it's on a 4 banger.

(And if you don't have a tach, add the wire to the coil and do it olde skool!)

RwP

Old 02-21-2019, 08:41 PM
Roughdraft

Thanks for the help guys. Not sure how the tach will work. It’s a 5.2. May be better just to wire the new one direct?

Old 02-21-2019, 11:23 PM
RalphP
Champion

Originally Posted by Roughdraft
Thanks for the help guys. Not sure how the tach will work. It’s a 5.2. May be better just to wire the new one direct?
Doesn't matter.

From the FSM, you'll find out that the tach is driven from the ECU, and is 2 pulses per revolution. Doesn't matter if 4 banger, V6, or V8.

So set your new tach to 4-banger, and you'll be golden. Or modify the wiring, and go straight off the coil like olde skool.

RwP

Quick Reply: Aftermarket gauges with factory wiring ?