1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Blower motor not working

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 12:36 PM
PBblaster83
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blower motor not working

I have a 95 Dakota and recently my blower motor quit working, I can usually hear it when it is on high but now I can't. It seems like heat still comes out but doesn't have any push to it. Anyways, I did some research, found a blower motor resistor. I've been working so I haven't had to to swap them out, but I did take a quick look at the current resistor and found one of the connectors is melted.

Can I get away with just swapping the resistors out? Or should I change the connector? Also, I've seen that blower motors that are going bad are a common cause for resistors to burn out, drawing too much current. So should I change the blower motor out or just leave it?

Thanks

Old 02-27-2019, 05:38 PM
tbugden
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by PBblaster83
I have a 95 Dakota and recently my blower motor quit working, I can usually hear it when it is on high but now I can't. It seems like heat still comes out but doesn't have any push to it. Anyways, I did some research, found a blower motor resistor. I've been working so I haven't had to to swap them out, but I did take a quick look at the current resistor and found one of the connectors is melted.

Can I get away with just swapping the resistors out? Or should I change the connector? Also, I've seen that blower motors that are going bad are a common cause for resistors to burn out, drawing too much current. So should I change the blower motor out or just leave it?

Thanks
Resistor failure is common in these trucks. No need to replace the motor too IMO. There's only one connector to the resistor so I'm not sure what you mean by "one of the connectors." Anyway I would replace what is damaged, but alternatively if a connector is hard to come by you could just cut it off and crimp on spade connectors to match those of the resistor. Won't look as nice as a connector but it will do the job perfectly. Good luck.

Old 02-27-2019, 05:46 PM
PBblaster83
Amateur

Gotcha! I didn't really think it was necessary to go as far as replacing the motor but wanted other opinions. How do I know when the motor does need to be replaced?

As far as the connectors, I realize there's one connector, but it has 5 terminal locations on it, one of which was melted. Sorry for the confusing wording.

Last edited by PBblaster83; 02-28-2019 at 02:47 PM.
Old 02-28-2019, 02:54 PM
PBblaster83
Amateur

So I put in the new resistor today, cut the old connection off, crimped new connectors on the wires, and expected to have a working blower motor.

Nothing happened when I turned it on.

I pulled out the multimeter and went through the different settings checking the resistance. At one point I was getting 0.12 ohms, I don't remember what setting that was but all the connectors were reading this. That was the only time I got any reading.

There's only one way to put the resistor in and connect, right? I ask because I have put parts in backwards before. Any other possibilities?

Old 02-28-2019, 08:39 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

I can't see your truck from here. These trucks aren't new any more, you might well have a bad blower motor. but those resistors are cheap and quite easy to access, plus with the melted connector, that needed done anyways. They do sell a replacement pigtail, cut the wires 1 by one and twist them together, and SOLDER the connections, seal with neat shrink. No butt connectors or Scotchloks or wire nuts here, as under the hood the wires are always exposed to moisture and such.... not rocket science

Quick Reply: Blower motor not working