1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

body paint question

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 06:07 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

Yeah I might.... but since this offer did present itself, I thought I'd throw it out there and see what came up.

Old 03-07-2019, 02:32 PM
Azboyinmi
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Honestly, the best way too find out....
take the paint to a store with a shaker Shaker and have them shake it. It'll be more consistent than if you just stir it by hand. Then prep a scrap piece or an old door or something. And make sure you do it right. If you're gonna paint over old paint make sure you use a primer sealer. Make sure everything is clean and do your spray out and let it dry. Then go stick the piece out in the sun for a week and see how it holds up to u.v., weather, temp changes etc. Is that free paint a single stage or does it need a clearcoat

Old 03-07-2019, 02:37 PM
Azboyinmi
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also, I forgot to mention.
the for primer on my buddy's k5 we used por-15.
Then sprayed it with por-15 tie coat.
Then Eastwood urethane primer.
Then topped it with the single stage blue.

It's been 3 weeks since we did the test piece and it's been sitting outside in the sun, snow, freezing rain, it's been in temps from -16 to 45 degrees. It's been moved and flexed a little, we put it in the garage next to the heater and let it get to 80 degrees then stuck it back outside. We've had no orange peel, no cracking, no bubbles, the paint looks amazing.

Old 03-07-2019, 04:43 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Azboyinmi
Honestly, the best way too find out....
take the paint to a store with a shaker Shaker and have them shake it. It'll be more consistent than if you just stir it by hand. Then prep a scrap piece or an old door or something. And make sure you do it right. If you're gonna paint over old paint make sure you use a primer sealer. Make sure everything is clean and do your spray out and let it dry. Then go stick the piece out in the sun for a week and see how it holds up to u.v., weather, temp changes etc. Is that free paint a single stage or does it need a clearcoat
it is a single stage enamel.

Old 03-10-2019, 03:33 PM
bronze
Record Breaker
Received 439 Likes on 376 Posts

I need new pinstriping. Would like to get original color (kind of a gold/burnt orange) and size but suspect that option is long gone. Any other good sources for pinstriping?

Old 03-10-2019, 03:37 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 372 Likes on 343 Posts

Paint or decal?

You can buy paint for pinstriping at Summit and Jegs, amongst other places.

There are tutorials all over the place, but especially at Hot Rod Network ( https://www.hotrod.com/articles/how-...t-pinstriping/ ) and on YouTube.

RwP

Quick Reply: body paint question