1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Plenum Plague -- which years/engines?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 08:43 PM
soundquest
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plenum Plague -- which years/engines?

I have read several posts regarding the infamous and dreaded plenum gasket leak on the 5.2L. Does this also affect the 1988 3.9L?

Old 03-27-2019, 11:00 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by soundquest
I have read several posts regarding the infamous and dreaded plenum gasket leak on the 5.2L. Does this also affect the 1988 3.9L?
Uhhh ... no.

The 1988 is an LA motor; that'd the Magnums that have that problem.

Now, a 1992+ Magnum 3.9, sure.

RwP

Old 03-28-2019, 07:45 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by RalphP
Uhhh ... no.

The 1988 is an LA motor; that'd the Magnums that have that problem.

Now, a 1992+ Magnum 3.9, sure.

RwP
I've wondered myself. Looking at some 1st gen Dakotas....Only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger is the plenum thing. So, it's 92 - 96? 3.9, 5.2 & 5.9?

Old 03-28-2019, 08:18 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Yep; all three of the LA-derived Magnum engines; 3.9, 5.2, and 5.9 .

Dunno about the V10s.

I don't think that's a BIG reason to not buy a truck; you can eyeball down the throttle body (with the motor OFF of course!) and see how oily it is inside. If it's oily, the plenum's blown or there's really bad blow by. But even so, it's not a difficult fix for a DIY; shouldn't be but 3-4 hours at a mechanic if they know what they're doing.

And so far, just whacking the end of the nipple on the bolts and a new Fel-Pro gasket seems to fix as well as the Hughes kit.

RwP

Old 04-05-2019, 06:16 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeaton
I've wondered myself. Looking at some 1st gen Dakotas....Only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger is the plenum thing. So, it's 92 - 96? 3.9, 5.2 & 5.9?
REALLY??? It's like an afternoon's worth of work and not a lot of money.... chance to do some needed maintenance along the way before you're overheated on the side of road... new hoses (especially bypass hose), thermostat, and a few other things since they need pulled off to do the plenum anyways..... that would be the last thing to keep me from consider buying a truck... avoiding rust bucket would be 1st among Dakotas.... 1st among all else to prevent me from buying would be a truck that says Nissan or Toyota on the hood...… next on the list is a truck with 4 doors will keep me from buying.

Old 04-05-2019, 07:33 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by volaredon
REALLY??? It's like an afternoon's worth of work and not a lot of money.... chance to do some needed maintenance along the way before you're overheated on the side of road... new hoses (especially bypass hose), thermostat, and a few other things since they need pulled off to do the plenum anyways..... that would be the last thing to keep me from consider buying a truck... avoiding rust bucket would be 1st among Dakotas.... 1st among all else to prevent me from buying would be a truck that says Nissan or Toyota on the hood...… next on the list is a truck with 4 doors will keep me from buying.
I'm sure it is. I'm just at the age where I don't feel like fooling with it. lol

Quick Reply: Plenum Plague -- which years/engines?