1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

The mess i have gotten myself into.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 11:35 AM
car5car
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have rebuilt 42RE transmission from my 98 Durango. It had 2 problems: strut of second gear band was broken and spacer of valve body had worn out hole.

I usually get 1-3 transmission manuals before starting repairing. Diagnosing with pressure gauge has to be done first.

Old 08-26-2019, 07:06 AM
Devin Baxter
Default update on my progress

so ive ruined the stock harness after my first attempt at "repairing" it haha so i tried with the harness and computer i got from the 96 ram and didnt get very far when realizing the connectors on many of the sensors and injectors, pretty much everything, transmission as well. so i pulled that out and got the ecu and harness from a 96 dakota along with the fuel rail and havent even tried to get that in the truck yet. i took everything off to the heads and have a gasket kit in the mail, i cleaned out the passages through the heads as best i could. i came into some money from a motorcycle accident i had 2 years ago where i was rearended at a redlight by a sacramento county sheriff so im going to scrap the harness all around and just go for a build. i want to pull the motor out and break it down completely and have it cleaned up by a machine shop but im not sure what id even ask for exactly im not very familiar with cylinder bore diameter and compression ratios and want to learn a bit more anybody willing to give me somewhat of a rundown and explenation of what im trying to do? i want to be the only person turning a wrench on this thing. everyone has said so many things about me and my relationship with this truck so i have something to prove. also whats a solid manual transmission and what model dodge or chrysler could i find it in? i want something light and strong that isnt an arm and leg to build. thanks in advance for any help.

Old 08-26-2019, 07:44 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

For building it - I'd start with a good book on small block (LA/Magnum) V8 engine builds. I have this one https://www.cartechbooks.com/how-to-...mopar-943.html and it will help some.

Also study up at http://www.hughesengines.com/TechArt...es19932003.php

For the transmission - I dunno.

RwP

Old 08-31-2019, 03:24 AM
Devin Baxter

Cool thanks ill get to reading. Ive started the tear down and so.far have the drive shaft out and one bolt left on the tcase, its currently being held up.wirh a jack and ill probably finish that before heading off to bed. its about 12:30 am so i should have some time before the girlfriend ia getting up to drag me away from the garage. Tomorrow ill be getting the trans out and the pulling the motor out hopefully. Then get all the body work started while cleaning up the block and finding a new transmission and tcase, thinking about going for an awd setup. Ill post pics of all my "work" tomorrow when its light.

Old 08-31-2019, 10:43 PM
evintho
Rookie
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool

If it were me...………...I would acquire a used harness specifically for a '94 5.2 Dakota. Pick up the aforementioned FSM along with a factory wiring diagram. Clean up and install the harness and get every connection completed. The goal here is to get the truck up and running properly in it's stock configuration. Once you're back to a solid foundation, then you can turn it into a '4x4 dirt ripping toy'. As the bible says......build your house on rock, not sand!
I've seen too many younger guys with big dreams, small budget and limited experience tear a truck/car apart and get to the point of no return, loose interest and wind up selling the project as a pile of parts. Don't be that guy!
Here's one. It's probably an hour and a half away but this could get you back to square one. Then you can build the truck of your dreams.
Just an old guy whose been down this road before, submitting his .02 cents!

https://www.picknpull.com/vehicle_de...GG23Y7RS710313

The following users liked this post:
Devon Farber (02-27-2020)
Old 08-31-2019, 11:03 PM
Nicholas Seyfarth
Amateur
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So you never checked to see if the solenoid pack was working the transmission.

Quick Reply: The mess i have gotten myself into.....