Go Back  DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Dakota > 1st Gen Dakota Tech
Reload this Page >

Auto 3.9L Dakota with a manual ECU

1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Auto 3.9L Dakota with a manual ECU

Old 04-27-2019, 09:28 AM
HeyYou
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by volaredon View Post
before 96 it should work just fine. I have mixed and matched trans and computers in Dakotas before and they have worked fine as long as you get one the same year or +/- a year or so, the listing above about what years work in what is pretty much right.
I have also used computers out of Dodge vans and full size pickups in Dakotas before, often same year will be same PN across vehicle lines back then.
but when I put a 94 computer in my 93, no, the 93 didn't like it.... I tried it twice and one was an Mopar perf version, the 93 truck really didn't like that one. I have a 93 brain in my 92 and have had for 60K miles.
Trouble is, on the 4 speed autos, with the wrong PCM, you don't get O/D, or TCC lockup. But, that is the ONLY drawback.

Old 04-27-2019, 12:36 PM
RalphP
Champion

Originally Posted by volaredon View Post
before 96 it should work just fine. I have mixed and matched trans and computers in Dakotas before and they have worked fine as long as you get one the same year or +/- a year or so, the listing above about what years work in what is pretty much right.
I have also used computers out of Dodge vans and full size pickups in Dakotas before, often same year will be same PN across vehicle lines back then.
but when I put a 94 computer in my 93, no, the 93 didn't like it.... I tried it twice and one was an Mopar perf version, the 93 truck really didn't like that one. I have a 93 brain in my 92 and have had for 60K miles.
Well, yah, without swapping injectors, I'd expect a 94/95 to have fits in a 92/93 and vice versa ... injector flow rate changed in 1994.

RwP

Old 04-27-2019, 12:37 PM
RalphP
Champion

Originally Posted by HeyYou View Post
Trouble is, on the 4 speed autos, with the wrong PCM, you don't get O/D, or TCC lockup. But, that is the ONLY drawback.
And that can be handled ... https://transmissioncenter.net/shop/...iring-diagram/

RwP

Old 05-01-2019, 10:34 PM
blackbeemer

Originally Posted by 96360 View Post
Much cheaper options out there. But yes that ecm needs to go. An auto in a manual truck is fine, but vise versa is no beuno.
Cheaper options as in...? I saw RalphP mention a kit, but I have no clue what the kit he was referring to.

i did find an ECU for under $200, and a few on eBay in the $150 range. Still haven’t decided on what route to go but I definitely want to fix this for highway driving.

Old 05-01-2019, 10:36 PM
blackbeemer

Originally Posted by RalphP View Post
is this what you were referring to? I checked the link and it sure is cheaper than a new ECM. Any tips on the options you’d purchase?

Old 05-01-2019, 10:47 PM
RalphP
Champion

Originally Posted by RalphP View Post
Originally Posted by blackbeemer View Post
is this what you were referring to? I checked the link and it sure is cheaper than a new ECM. Any tips on the options you’d purchase?
I'd ask them. If not, I'd pick the suggested defaults of 44/OD and 52/LU.

RwP

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Auto 3.9L Dakota with a manual ECU

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: