1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Jerks, & REALLY NICE People

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 10:15 PM
RoanokeDakota
Rookie
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Jerks, & REALLY NICE People

Went to the local pick & pull yard,& bought a AM/FM/Cassette radio.
I was in a hurry,& paid for it (too much),but didn't pay the extra for a warranty.
It was in a '99 Dodge minivan. When I got it home,I noticed that the wiring-
connections were different.I went back to the p&p,to see if they'd let me exchange
it for the right one.They wouldn't without the warranty.They also charge $2 to get in.
I told them that I'd never buy anything there again.If the price had been more
reasonable,I would have understood.

On the plus side,I've had an ad running on craigslist for some time,looking
for a used AM/FM/etc.radio.I got a response yesterday,from an older gentleman who
had two of them.When I asked what he wanted for them,he said "nothing"! And he
even delivered them to me.

Old 04-24-2019, 09:36 PM
smokin1994
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice ending...

Old 04-25-2019, 01:43 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well thats how places like that work. No need to show your *** because you didnt cover it.

Old 04-25-2019, 12:59 PM
glenlloyd
Veteran
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

These new type upull yards are taking over and buying up all the older slower junk yards. They're generally vertically integrated with scrap processors. They move vehicles through at an alarming rate, sending their crushed carcasses to the scrap processors on a frequent schedule thus guaranteeing a steady stream of scrap for the yards to process and the processor get to help dictate what they're willing to pay for junk cars.

The upull's have raised the pricing structure and it can get very expensive if there's anything they don't have a price for it generally can get very expensive.

I frequent a local upull a lot and at one time years ago actually helped manage that facility when it was at a different location, so I can't say that what I pay is indicative of what others have to pay, but I've been in and watched product go through the line and they do charge a lot of money for their crap. And with every price increase there are fewer people who shop there for what they want.

At one point after checking prices for stuff at the upull I checked on car-part.com and I could find same thing, already removed from the car, for less than they wanted for me to pull it, and since that time I rarely buy much there unless it's for a vehicle I have that's hard to get parts for. In fact in some cases I can buy new product for what the upull charges, so now I always check to see what new will cost me before committing.

As for returns, the local upull does allow returns but it's for credit only and you don't have to pay another admission to do that, in fact if you want to look at take off tires or cars for sale at the local upull you don't have to pay admission, and ours is only $1, but I sense that the market is moving to $2 admission so I'm sure that in a year or so the local will try and move there.

Steve

Quick Reply: Jerks, & REALLY NICE People