1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

start /no start

Old 05-08-2019, 10:20 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

plug wires? what kind of plugs (DON'T say Bosch PLEASE.... these engines don't like them) no gimmick plugs like E3s either.

Old 05-25-2019, 12:36 PM
Battlewes
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there just autolites I think nothing fancy. now ive check everything . even fuel pressure it a little low but at 19 should'nt keep from running
so replaced crank sensor, coil, pickup in distributor traced wires thru out engine compartment. it will start and run after dying for about 1 min
then shut off. has been known to run for as long as 5 min/ but wont start till next day again. so ive been looking for a ecm at the local pull and save
not a easy find. all trucks and vans with a 5,2 will work but only 93 with out California emission. even Canada will work. but none around here .
is the ecm next step all other stuff was fairly cheap on amazon and rock auto. any sugestions

Old 05-25-2019, 01:50 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

19 PSI isn't high enough to run properly.

31psi is spec; you're running about 1/2 the fuel in you're supposed to at idle now. *See page 14-6 in the factory service manual* Pull the vacuum line, does it go up about 8 to 10 PSI?

I'd work on the fuel system before I spent the money on a PCM.

Since, even with a new PCM, it still won't run right.

RwP

Old 05-27-2019, 12:35 PM
Battlewes

the only problem with that is ive been driving for about 6months with pressure that easy to fix I even have a new fuel pump and injectors
so fuel pressure wont keep it from having spark. Unless that something new on dodge. im asking is the next step from everything ive checked
is the ecm. and I would like to know the cheapest place to get one or get it repaired.

Old 05-27-2019, 06:21 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

If the required PSI to run the 93 5.2 is 38-39psi key on 19 is half of that and not going to do the job. Even at idle I think fuel pressure only drops to 33 or 34psi. 19PSI seems like its enough to get gas up to the intake and make some noise but its just not going to run. What I think happened based on your first post is your fuel pump took a dump while your friend was using the truck. That's it. I would replace the pump, rotate the float arm so its pointing toward the front, it may fix your gauge. Then see if you have problems starting/running

Old 05-27-2019, 07:30 PM
Battlewes

Were back to the same thing the spark quits im not going to put the time a money in fixing a fuel problem i check the presure 6 months ago it had 19 psi as it does now it even shoots up as i crank on it it will start and run for about 5 min some times then it loses all spark it dont sputter it quits,then then has no spark. I even pour gas down the tb. Fuel pump dosent stop spark. Ive got the pump and new injectors but before i take the time to do all that then find out it has major electrisl problem/ if you dont know a place where i can get a computer or a place to have one fixed and ill just buy a new one at auto zone for 200 and then if it runs and drives ill either remove bed or drop tank. The truck drove at 19 psi. Didnt drive great but ran and drove.

Old 05-27-2019, 07:38 PM
Battlewes

If that was so then it would never start again but should kick over spraying either in tb. Or is this not true

Old 05-27-2019, 07:43 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

So you have two problems.

I'd be checking the crank sensor for no-spark.

That'll also give you no pump.

But once it's running - you really, REALLY need to tackle the fuel problem.

32 <> 19.

If you believe that, let me hire you for $32/hour and pay you $19/hour ...

RwP

Old 05-27-2019, 07:53 PM
Battlewes

Replaced everthing as i said i earlier post crank,coil pic up in distrbutor

Old 05-27-2019, 08:00 PM
Battlewes

And crank sensor wont stop the pump from working only injectors

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: start /no start