1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

start /no start

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2019, 08:24 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

Then I would go through the diagnostic procedures for the ignition system in the FSM If you don;t have one the 95 in the FAQ section chapter 8D covers ignition.Those diagnostic steps should steer you right.
I have had motors run with two wires crossed on the firing order. Is that possible?

I just thought of this. Take the connection off the PCM. Clean it with electrical cleaner and put some dielectric grease on it and put it back together. If that makes a difference then your suspicion is correct. You may get one at a junk yard or from RA https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...computer),2896 or somewhere else. A lot of them come up in web searches.

Last edited by onemore94dak; 05-27-2019 at 08:38 PM.
Old 05-27-2019, 09:11 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by Battlewes
And crank sensor wont stop the pump from working only injectors
Uhh ... the crank sensor is used by the PCM to say "Motor running/turning over". No motor run, no ASD, no fuel pump relay, no fuel.

OTOH, if the fuel pump is running, that's probably not it. Time to crack open the FSM and figure out where it breaks.

(There's been bad coil wires and bad rotors and caps reported; those will most assuredly cause intermittent no-spark issues.)

RwP

Old 05-28-2019, 02:51 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Fuel pump will run for about 3 seconds at initial key on, then stop. PCM won't turn it back on unless it sees the engine turning. (supposedly via the cam or crank sensor... my experience says only the crank sensor matters)

So, if you are still not getting spark, but, fuel pressure comes up while cranking, likely means the crank sensor is doing it's job, and your problem lies elsewhere. I would be tempted to verify power to the coil while cranking, and see what ya get.

Old 06-17-2019, 05:36 PM
Battlewes
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes it could of but that dosent explain the no spark one then it does have spark. but ok I seem to have just wasted time in putting a fuel pump in it because now I have 45 psi but wont start . im not a complete idiot when it comes to engines. but everyone seemed to not even care that it loses spark/ they all seemed fixated on fuel. now im hurting all over because im disabled and cant afford a garage to fix it.

Old 06-17-2019, 05:44 PM
Battlewes
Default im going friggin mad. i need help

93 Dakota 5.2 litre automatic . im starting over with this post /. I let a friend use my truck it died wouldnt start no fire. long story short. I have replaced the crank sensor .coil, pickup in distributer fuel pump and filter, sent pcm to sia electronics thinking it was the problem. it wasnt they found nothing wrong with it .
I unwrapped the wire leading from the the pcm all the way back to fuses and relays nothing getting 45 psi with new pump but no spark . please help o almost forgot new plugs cap wire s rotor

Old 06-17-2019, 05:51 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker

Take a breath buddy. I am in excruciating pain right now from working on my rig. It gets frustrating and makes it hard to concentrate.
Did you look at the FSM?
The people on here want to be helpful, they can only go by what you say. They are answering your questions and responding to your statements. The answer to 'where is the spark failing?' is to go through the procedures to diagnose the ignition system. I do not think there is a shortcut. If anyone knows better please say so.
Do searches on the site, there have been a lot of folks confused as heck who started threads and sorted whatever it was out eventually that you can glean knowledge from.

Old 06-17-2019, 06:09 PM
Battlewes

but if one time it wont start and then the next day it will im not sure how to diagnose that the coil is getting voltage even when it wont start but no spark. everyone had me thinking that the fuel pump was a big concern. if now I wasted money and some of my blood on a fuel pump and find out itll be something I cant afford to fix. i went thru the process of checking the ignition system. thats basicly why I bought everything new. but I dont have no help doing anything here. all my so called friends seem put out when they want to turn a key. when I turn the key on there is 12 volts at coil
I put in new crank sensor didn't change nothing start for and runs for anywhere from 1 min to up to 15 then dies no start. then next day will do the same. I was really confused why they were fixated on the fuel preasure when I wasnt getting spark part of the time. not sure said need to fix that fuel problem first and im sorry what is the FSM?

Old 06-17-2019, 06:20 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker

The fuel pump was a big concern.
FSM=Factory Service Manual. There is one for a 1995 in the FAQ= Frequently Asked Questions section. Scroll down the page until you see them and download it. It's 2 years on but there is still enough that is the same it will help you go down the right paths.
This is confusing "...the coil is getting voltage even when it wont start but no spark." if there is voltage there is spark. Could be the spark is not getting past the coil to the Distributor.

There is an upside, I think you will get it sussed as it was running fine until your buddy borrowed it. the upside is your 1993 vehicle 26 years old, has new parts that were going to need replaced soon anyway. I know its not much now but once you figure out the problem it will feel better.

Old 06-17-2019, 11:00 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Minor correction - if it's getting 12V, then the ASD is on and the ECU thinks it's trying to fire.

Next is if there's any changes on the ECU side of the coil. I don't know of a good way to tell that offhand without something like a NOID light.

An intermittent will flat drive you batty chasing it down; you just have to walk through the possible causes until you find it.

RwP

Quick Reply: start /no start