1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Ignition Lock Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 11:58 AM
Ruff16965
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition Lock Replacement

Morning all,

Been watching YouTube videos this morning. O'Rielly's has replacement locks. My problem is that the videos say that that key has to be in the run position to pull the cylinder. Is there are other way to replace it that doesn't involve disassembling the truck? Lock is totally messed up and I was told the tumblers are shot.

Old 05-23-2019, 01:47 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Do you actually need to remove the cylinder to change the switch? (I honestly don't know....)

Old 05-23-2019, 01:59 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Do you actually need to remove the cylinder to change the switch? (I honestly don't know....)
Alas, yes, you do.

Unless you don't mind changing the key itself ... the cylinder is attached to the switch.

Ruff16965 - Do you have the factory service manual yet? In either case, I've attached the pages from my copy ... you MIGHT be able to do the lock/off swap, but if you're changing switch AND lock cylinder, you should be able to just swap the pair.

Nowhere does it show you needing to go to RUN to swap the cylinder out.

RwP

Attached Files
Old 05-23-2019, 03:31 PM
Ruff16965
Professional

The YouTube videos showed it needing to be in run. Will admit I was 3/4 asleep and it was a 1994, not 1993 in the video. However same part at O'Rilellys so I am assume basically same way to swap out.

The problem is the tire place totally messed up the ignition, the key will not turn at all. Tow truck driver said the tumblers are gone.

What switch?

Also is it safe to drive with the steering wheel lock broken? Tires seem to move with the wheel turned. But until I can actually start the truck and move it I am just guessing at best.

Old 05-23-2019, 03:50 PM
Ruff16965
Professional

Ralph,

Circled something in the shop manual, will be the first to admit I am not a mechanic. However it seems at some point it is in the run position.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Question.pdf (251.5 KB, 77 views)
Old 05-23-2019, 05:39 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

If there is ANY question about the steering lock not functioning properly, do NOT drive it. It would be a very rude surprise to get most of the way thru a left turn, and discover that you suddenly can't steer........ Talk about major suckage........

Old 05-23-2019, 06:10 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruff16965
Ralph,

Circled something in the shop manual, will be the first to admit I am not a mechanic. However it seems at some point it is in the run position.
Nope, not until you're testing the replacement.

a) With the key in the LOCK position.

b) Turning to the OFF position ...

Run's the OTHER side of OFF from LOCK.

It's ACC --> LOCK --> OFF --> RUN --> START as you go clockwise; with LOCK the only place it can remove the key (normally!)

But if the tumbler's messed up, you won't be able to remove it anyway; the tumblers have to drop into place to clear so you can pull it.

RwP

Old 05-23-2019, 06:12 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Worst case? Use a hammer and a screwdriver, and destroy the inner part of the lock cylinder.... It's messy, but, it works. Just be careful that you don't damage anything else you don't already plan on replacing.

Old 05-23-2019, 06:29 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Worst case? Use a hammer and a screwdriver, and destroy the inner part of the lock cylinder.... It's messy, but, it works. Just be careful that you don't damage anything else you don't already plan on replacing.
Sorta sounds like that is what the mechanic did. I suspect he may have tried to force the wrong key and bunged up the tumblers as RUF16965 said.

Old 05-23-2019, 06:42 PM
Ruff16965
Professional

The tech was in the truck when I return, he left and returned twice more. Looking more irked each time, before he came in and told me he could not start it, not that key would not turn. He did state that he did try a different key.

The Tire Place has sent it to their insurance and assigned a claims adjuster, waiting for a call. I am not touching it based on what was said here. I was more concerned with getting it back up and running, but if steering wheel lock is a concern I am going to demand that they repair to the condition it went in as. Meaning steering wheel lock, ignition and the doors keys to ignition lock. Which from talking to locksmith those come in kits have to be hand built and labor is more then the $150 for the ignition swap.

Quick Reply: Ignition Lock Replacement