1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Radio ain't workin

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 04:46 AM
dodgedakotahhh
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio ain't workin

Radio connected nice and good. Even put another one in for good measure, yields dang same results. Ground to chasis and radio be good. Fuse is good. Put a dang voltmeter do the radio fuse and it ain't gettin no power..

where do I begin on this?????

Old 05-28-2019, 07:26 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 372 Likes on 343 Posts

Which of the two radio fuses are you checking? The keep alive or the switched one?

Which year is your truck? The fusing changed somewhat between 1987 and 1996 ...

RwP

Old 05-28-2019, 07:40 AM
dodgedakotahhh

Shoot Vin says it's a 92. Not sure whacha mean by keep alive and switch.

Checked only the #12 fuse cavity and with that dang key in off/acc/ and on that pest stays at 0v.

Old 05-28-2019, 08:01 AM
RalphP
Champion

Fuses 9,10,11, and 12 are fed off the same section of the ignition switch via buss bar inside the fuse block. See page 8W-84 in the factory service manual.

Check both sides of all of those to see if the problem is on all four, or just 12.

If all four, check the 14ga black wire that feeds them back to the ignition switch.

Also check fuse 13 - that's the memory, or keep-alive, fuse that keeps the clock running and your settings. If it's blown, the radio won't work even with power proper in fuse 12.

RwP

Old 05-29-2019, 03:19 AM
dodgedakotahhh

9-13 checked out ok, yes sir.

I didn't have the ignition in the on when I measured. According to the troubleshooting steps in the manual, my units are faulty. Both show the same symptom, display is dull orange with horizontal lines across.

Haven't checked the rear speakers to see if they are grounding out, but gee whiz. Edit: rear speaks are good

Is it just my darn luck? Two units back to back, faulty???? C'mon Lord

Last edited by dodgedakotahhh; 05-29-2019 at 04:12 AM.
Old 05-29-2019, 08:31 AM
RalphP
Champion

Uhhh ...

Ignition needs to be on. There won't be any power on 9-12 with the ignition off.

Could be both units faulty; they're old enough.

Some radio troubleshooting tips can be had from Schrag's articles on Allpar.com ... such as https://www.allpar.com/stereo/econom...tte/index.html .

I just swapped to a Chinese-built head unit that does great in my Dakota ... this one is what I picked: https://smile.amazon.com/dulawei3-HE.../dp/B07P7LQJR8 (Although I haven't connected the rear view camera yet ... ) Disclaimer: It does require some playing to get working, due to tying into the backup lights and parking brake light circuits. Which I haven't done, BTW.

I'd recommend a simplier unit if you go aftermarket. Also, I'd recommend getting an adapter harness.

RwP

Old 05-29-2019, 12:16 PM
onemore94dak
Champion
Received 134 Likes on 126 Posts

This may sound dumb but pound the dashboard or push in on the center where the read out is sharply and see if that brings it to life. Apparent;y there is an internal issue with these after they get old. Schrag gives take apart to fix with pictures of all the Chrysler radios on that site.

Quick Reply: Radio ain't workin