1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Timing on 91 3.9

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 11:00 AM
Ole Sarge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing on 91 3.9

Can anyone explain the setting on 91 3.9? The manual it only states set on #1 on TDC, rotor pointing to #1. Is that at #1 cyl. or #1 on the cap? I get all the the shaft and slot pointing at the bolt hole of intake. The rotor slot on Dist. pointing 3 -o-clock ( facing engine ) Then we get into the 10 degrees before TDC. Can someone simply this? Appently, you can set alignment dots 180???

Old 06-12-2019, 11:13 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Yes, you can set the crank 180* out on the cam; remember, the cam turns at 1/2 the speed of the crank.

Before dropping the dizzy in, use the thumb-on-spark-plug-hole method to verify it's coming up on the compression stroke, not the exhaust stroke.

Or take the valve cover off, and verify that both valves are relaxed when it's at TDC.

I don't have a 1991 factory service manual, but in my 1988, it clearly states to line the rotor up with the #1 spark plug connector on page 8D-19.

As to the 10* BTDC; that's set with the motor running and the engine coolant temperature sensor disconnected to force no advance.

You set that like any other old dizzy; loosen the clamp, use a timing light on the #1 spark plug, and adjust against the timing marks.

RwP

Quick Reply: Timing on 91 3.9