1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

fuel delivery issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2019, 03:33 AM
ramcharger2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel delivery issue

So i have a problem with my truck. any help would be great. so to start with i have a 1995 Dakota sport with a 2.5, 4 cyl, manual transmission. to try to keep this simple here are the prior symptoms.
1. On start up idle was bad but once warmed up it leveled out. it would once in a while stall out with constant rising and falling RPMs until it warmed up.
2. there is no power at all when the peddles to the floor. its just a slow ...slow....increase in speed. it dosnt rev or anything when driving ( typically in 3-4th gear going cruiseing speeds) i know the 4 bangers are under powered but this seems to be a bit nuts that it takes me half a day to get to highway speeds.
3. while at cruising speeds and not adjusting the gas peddle i would loose power. it wouldn't die. its just act like it wasn't getting any gas for about 3 seconds then it would pick right back up with out changing the peddle position or anything.
4. it finally died. i got it home a couple weeks back an after that . it just wont start now.

What ive done so far.

I'm fairly sure we have spark. i gave it a shot of starting fluid and it will run for a second or 2 then die once it burns off what i sprayed in,
Ive replaced the fuel filter and pump now
Ive gone through most of the wiring to the fuse box under the hood and see no real signs of corrosion or bad wires.

which brings me to the next step....i dont have a fuel relay? attached is a photo of the box and diagram. according to it i dont have a fuel relay or a ABS relay? which from all the issues ive seen on the forms here the next step is to check the wiring to these im baffled at this point and have no idea where to look next. so any ideas would be greatly appreciated . Thanks guys

Old 06-22-2019, 03:36 AM
ramcharger2

Also to note. it seems the new fuel pump isnt getting power. when i turn the key on i cant hear it cycle and the fuel gauge is still not working. which is why i am trying to figure out where or what kind of system i have for the fuel relay and or wiring. if i can figure out where the power is coming from i could at least trace the problem down if it was electrical.

Old 06-22-2019, 03:53 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Good news!

The 1995 Factory Service Manual is available as a download; link is in the FAQ about 40% of the way down.

The Fuel Pump Relay is 3.9/5.2 only; the 2.5 didn't have it.

It appears to be hardwired to a splice or two and run straight from the ignition switch; I'd suggest pulling the manual down and checking pages such as 8W-70-11 etc.

RwP

Old 06-22-2019, 03:56 AM
ramcharger2

ill have to check that i been looking all over for this splice issue people talk about but i havnt been able to make heads or tails of what is being said with it all. ive tried to find this splice they talk about . im good with most things mechanical but when it comes to electrical it seems to be a Achilles heel for me

Old 06-22-2019, 04:18 AM
ramcharger2

Originally Posted by RalphP
Good news!

The 1995 Factory Service Manual is available as a download; link is in the FAQ about 40% of the way down.

The Fuel Pump Relay is 3.9/5.2 only; the 2.5 didn't have it.

It appears to be hardwired to a splice or two and run straight from the ignition switch; I'd suggest pulling the manual down and checking pages such as 8W-70-11 etc.

RwP

honestly. i dont mean to be a pest. but is there anyway some one can explain what im looking for for the splice here? i tired to read the manual i downloaded but it is literally Greek to me. i dont understand why some manuals have to be so complicated. all i can see is numbers and crude sketches of what the wiring looks like. if they would just be so kind as to say "this red wire from here goes to here. or this pink wire goes here check here" it would makes a lot more sense . perhaps im blind though. *sigh*

Old 06-22-2019, 09:10 AM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

Wiring diagrams which I have trouble reading too are not depictions of real world. They are representations of what is connected to what. It is not going to show the fine detail of exactly how the wire was pulled through the truck. I have not looked but there should be a key that explains the codes marking each line so that you can tell what wire color it is.
The only splice I have heard is a problem for Daks is the one right under that fuse box you posted a picture of. I think that is only on the 3.9/5.2. It is several wires inside the harness which I do not think are related to the fuel supply.

Last edited by onemore94dak; 06-22-2019 at 09:13 AM.
Old 06-23-2019, 10:30 PM
ramcharger2

Well if anyone has a idea why the fuel pump isn't getting power it would be appreciated, i been scrolling through hte manual and found most of the info i think is relevant and Ive gone though the wiring harness under the fuse box there and i cant find a splice that looks like anything that has been posted before. ive found a green wire spice and a black wire splice but both of them look solid with no corrosion on them. the few photos Ive seen from people here show a red/white wire that is spliced but the red/white wire on the truck ive followed from the box almost clear to the fire wall but i don't see any place where it is spliced. I don't mean to be a pain about this im just kind of stumped at this point. if i can get out to the truck in the daylight tomorrow ill try to snack a few more photos and perhaps some one can tell me if i am just blind

Old 06-23-2019, 11:12 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Start at the fuel pump. Check for 12V there.

Follow that harness to the front. Check at every junction you can.

If you have 12V at the pump, check the grounds.

It's really not rocket science, you know. Either start where it isn't and work to where it is, or start where it is and work to where it isn't.

If the wiring diagrams are confusing (and they may well be if you don't understand the "language!"), then start where it isn't at the end and work towards the front.

Here's some help, though: The wiring diagrams in the FSM show both the gauge (like 18) and the color (DG/BL is a dark green wire with a blue tracer on it; there are of course several other colors.)

That may help to keep track of which wire you're looking at as you chase it.

(And of course if you're getting a good 12V at the pump and a good ground - well, then, the pump's failed.Even a new pump may fail on you.)

RwP

Old 06-28-2019, 06:24 PM
ramcharger2

Ok so the update i have im working on it currently im cooling for for a moment as its hot as hell an humid to boot out lol.

i checked the voltage at the fuel pump and am only get 5.3 volts to the fuel pump. i went ahead and followed the instructions on testing the ASD relay and this is what i got

85 to 30 = 11.3 volt while cranking the motor
85 to 30 while not cranking is 1.02 volt
87 to 30 = 12.35 volt
86 to 30 = 12.4 volt with ignition on.

so. i think the asd relay is getting the power it is suppose to be if i read how to test it correctly. when i go back out i am going to double check the relay its self to make sure it is good. but i swaped the a/c clutch relay and it like one of the write ups i seen suggested and even tried to bridge the relay with a jumper with no luck.

at this point im leaning to the idea there is a break in the wire some where leading to the fuel pump perhaps? if the relay checks out it looks like ima have to case the wire from the fuel pump up until i find a possible break some where which seems like its going to be a lot of fun.

Old 06-28-2019, 06:27 PM
ramcharger2

Also one other note. since replacing the pump and fuel filter now. if i let the truck sit then try to turn it over it will fire for about half a second then die. i assume it is pulling a tiny amount of fuel vapor from the line now but since theres next to no power to the fuel pump its not pushing any fuel through the line to keep it going. that's a improvement over before the replacement where i was getting nothing at all out of the thing.

Quick Reply: fuel delivery issue