1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

96 3.9 timing cover question

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 11:05 PM
crazyjerry
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 96 3.9 timing cover question

i wont go into a long story why im pulling the water pump and timing cover. just wondering if you guys install both gaskets dry ? book doesnt say anything about using sealer , other than the lower corners at the oilpan

one other question. ive had the pump and cover off before but it was many years ago and i cant recall how i installed the front seal. seems like i installed it when the cover was off. layed it on some carpet and blocks of wood then tapped it in from what i recall. is that how you guys do it ?

Last edited by crazyjerry; 06-23-2019 at 11:14 PM.
Old 06-23-2019, 11:14 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Hopefully you took care of the timing chain while in there.

I used some Permatex gasket sealer when we did ours about 175,000 miles ago ... I don't know what they used when the motor was rebuilt about 23,000 miles ago.

Edit: I almost forgot - be SURE to use thread sealer on the bolts! You didn't say if it was a LA or Magnum, but the LA bolts go into the water jacket, and it will leak if you don't!

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...420/10644257-p for the gasket, and
Amazon Amazon
for the thread sealer.

RwP

Old 06-24-2019, 09:02 AM
crazyjerry
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i replaced timing gears with cloyes double roller years ago at 100k . my mistake was using a cheap waterpump that **** out the bearing at 150k and i had to go back in. while replacing that pump with a mopar pump, it disturbed the water passages going through the timing cover and started leaking. so im going back in once again , hopefully for the last time. never use cheap *** parts is the lesson here. ill use a bit of sealer on the gasket, it sure couldnt hurt anything.

i dont like that 4 of the 7 pump bolts also hold the timing cover to the engine block. that makes it difficult to change just the pump without disturbing the gasket under the timing cover. if i had just used a factory mopar pump in the first place i likely wouldnt be in this situation.

its the magnum 3.9 but it does seems like atleast one of the passenger side pump bolts went into the waterjacket so ill be sure to seal the threads

Quick Reply: 96 3.9 timing cover question