1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Ignition problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 05:23 PM
Dgriff91
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition problems

Been having an issue with dying out while driving and not restarting until I let it sit for roughly half hour to 45 minutes. 94 5.2l. Changed the IAC which helped the idle and whatnot, then I swapped a coil which seemed to work for a bit but then went bad. Put another new coil in it and was fine for a bit again then died out. The old coil is still good so I swapped that back in but wouldn't start. When it dies out it backfires real bad if I'm coasting in gear due the motor turning. any known problems like this that I can look into?

Old 07-07-2019, 11:09 AM
Azboyinmi
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd go over all your wiring and connections first. Clean all the connectors with a toothpick and 800 grit sand paper then spray of with some electronic connector cleaner, then hit with some air to make sure it's dry. Check all your splices in your harness, one could be going bad. After that I'd look into all your tune-up items. Spark plugs, wires, cap with brass connectors, rotor, cam pickup sensor, crank sensor, fuel filter etc. Let me know what u figure out

Quick Reply: Ignition problems