1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Leak on expansion valve

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 07:30 PM
yermyjermy
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leak on expansion valve

I think I have a leak coming from the sensor on the expansion valve. Is there a o ring or something that goes there that is prone to leaking? What about where the AC lines connect, besides a gasket are there any rubber rings to help seal the connection?

Old 07-14-2019, 09:25 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Somewhere along the line Chrysler shifted from a stamped dimpled metal gasket to O-rings; I don't know which style is yours.

But for the cycle or high pressure switch, yes, there's an O-ring that goes in there that can leak.

But if it's leaking, I'll just about guarantee all your OTHER seals are leaking.

OTOH, the O-ring for the cycle switch can be replaced (as can the cycle switch!) without venting the system; it's worth it to try that.

I forget what year yours is .. what year and motor Dakota do you have?

RwP

Old 07-15-2019, 04:02 AM
yermyjermy
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

92 v6

Old 07-15-2019, 11:26 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

The cross references show BOTH styles used for a 1992; so it was possibly a production change during the year (dimpled steel vis o-ring).

So you may have to obtain both types; again, if that one's failed, I'd go through the whole system.

You'll also need to replace the receiver/dryer, pull a hard vacuum, add some compressor oil, and if it's not been converted to R134a yet, that'll most likely have to be done due to the low availability of R12.

RwP

Quick Reply: Leak on expansion valve