1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

ECM/PCM Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 03:07 PM
bronze
Record Breaker
Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts
Default ECM/PCM Rebuild

1993 Dodge Dakota LE, 5.2L, original owner

I've had a problem the last few years with my engine cutting out suddenly with no warning. Highly intermittent. Happened about every six months and now down to every few weeks. It always fires back up...perhaps in 5 minutes or the next day or some point between. I'm not looking for help to resolve this problem as I'm far down that road thanks to the help of Ralph and others here on the forum. I'm down to basically one cause in two possible locations. A bad connection in either the ECM or the connector going into the ECM. It makes sense for me to rebuild that connector because I can do it. I'm currently in the midst of doing exactly that. However, if that fails, then I am left with replacing the ECM. I have three basic options:

1) Purchase a refurbished ECM from the parts store.
2) Purchase an ECM from a boneyard.
3) Send my ECM in to a rebuild joint.

I prefer sending my ECM in to a rebuild joint because it's MY ECM. However, I have spoken with one such joint and they said rebuilding an ECM with an intermittent problem could be difficult if not impossible. So I'm not sure how viable that option is. From there, I'm kind of torn between purchasing a refurb or a boneyard deluxe. I guess I like the idea of a refurb but I have also heard a lot of horror stories about refurbed ECMs. At least there's a good chance a boneyard ECM is still working (unless it was the reason why the vehicle is sitting in the boneyard in the first place).

I guess my question is if there are reputable refurbs out there and which ones to avoid. If I choose that option, I would at least like to maximize my odds. My ECM is plug n play.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Old 09-27-2019, 09:53 PM
tndakman
Rookie
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The only thing I personally know about refurbished units is my mechanic replaced my P5049516 MP unit with a cardone unit. When he called me & told me that his 'electronics guru' had found that the said ecu was trying to reset itself so they replaced it. I asked if they replaced w/another MP ecu said "no just a stock refurb unit from local parts store'. When I protested that, he promised to at least get my MP ecu instead of using it as a return core. He did and I found a close by rebuilder recommended by a car club guy I trusted though he's not a Mopar guy.

These people might be able to help you. I took my ecu & some cash to these folks to test & 8 days later drove back there to pickup my repaired unit w/ a 1 yr in writing warranty. It lasted a little longer on the Dak than the 1yr. & when I sold the Dak the buyer wouldn't pay the extra $$ for the MP ecu so I replaced it w/the cardone. Still have the MP ecu.

Here's their website-https://www.autoecu.com/ You may want to contact them about shipping,etc as I dealt 'face-to-face with them. I have no personal connection with this company nor am I being compensated in any way for any statement(s) I have made. I will say that according to my butt-dyno & the black marks made by the right tire of said 'peg-legged' 3.55 rear gear--they 'got it fixed'. Good luck & if I can be of further help just PM me.

Old 09-29-2019, 08:23 AM
bronze
Record Breaker
Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by tndakman
The only thing I personally know about refurbished units is my mechanic replaced my P5049516 MP unit with a cardone unit. When he called me & told me that his 'electronics guru' had found that the said ecu was trying to reset itself so they replaced it. I asked if they replaced w/another MP ecu said "no just a stock refurb unit from local parts store'. When I protested that, he promised to at least get my MP ecu instead of using it as a return core. He did and I found a close by rebuilder recommended by a car club guy I trusted though he's not a Mopar guy.

These people might be able to help you. I took my ecu & some cash to these folks to test & 8 days later drove back there to pickup my repaired unit w/ a 1 yr in writing warranty. It lasted a little longer on the Dak than the 1yr. & when I sold the Dak the buyer wouldn't pay the extra $$ for the MP ecu so I replaced it w/the cardone. Still have the MP ecu.

Here's their website-https://www.autoecu.com/ You may want to contact them about shipping,etc as I dealt 'face-to-face with them. I have no personal connection with this company nor am I being compensated in any way for any statement(s) I have made. I will say that according to my butt-dyno & the black marks made by the right tire of said 'peg-legged' 3.55 rear gear--they 'got it fixed'. Good luck & if I can be of further help just PM me.
Bookmarked Thank you!

Quick Reply: ECM/PCM Rebuild