1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Fuel leak around pump wiring harness?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2019, 12:06 AM
Erinmariefitz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel leak around pump wiring harness?

Since a rear end impact a month or so ago on my 89 Dakota (4 cycl, 2.5), I’ve had intermittent fuel pumping quirks, occasionally stalling at low gas levels, and coming and going of the sound of the pump humming when I turn the key but all the while a truck that ran smooth and steady and with a lot resolved after some relay juggling and tightening.

A few days ago I stepped pretty hard on the gas pedal to speed around some massive slow moving vehicles and when I parked a few minutes later, I could smell gas. Looked underneath and it’s dribbling down from the top of the fuel tank and dripping on the ground slightly. Dries up and stops after the truck is off. I found in the last couple days my exact same 3 mile drive to work and back produces much less of a leak if I’m extra easy on the gas and take it slow.

Today I got my bed off and finally got a look at the top of the pump. The leak seems to be coming from around this wiring harness piece (a thin gasket or o-ring seems loose and pinched) and I’m having a hard time at this point figuring out if this is a part I can just pop out and replace an O ring on, or if this is going to require a lot more work and removal of the whole fuel pump housing to get a better seal. Or worse, it this is less about the seal and more about the function of the pump or sending unit which possibly suffered damage in the recent collision. Again, the truck still seems to drive just fine. No issue starting, idling, accelerating or anything.

Any thoughts or opinions are welcome, my mechanical knowledge is a lot better on bikes than trucks. Thanks.

Old 10-23-2019, 12:13 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

I'm going to bet it's more likely a slightly cracked OUT line from the pump; the OUT and RETURN lines are right there by the O-ring (as is the line to the drain fitting). Could be the RETURN line also.

I'd consider pulling that, and if I couldn't find a replacement, I'd epoxy the crap out of it, if it's one of those elbows.

RwP

Old 10-23-2019, 12:22 AM
Erinmariefitz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I let the top dry up completely and then started and revved the motor to see where the leak was originating. That was the only protruding fitting that became wet up the sides of it and the gas spot spread out from it (it’s also loose enough to be wiggled around and see the loose o-ring or seal). The other fittings all were dry by their hoses and clamps.

Old 10-23-2019, 09:42 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Then I'd look for a new one from the boneyard. It's not SUPPOSED to have any pressure there.

RwP

Quick Reply: Fuel leak around pump wiring harness?