1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1996 V8 4x4 Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2020, 07:56 PM
buick
Veteran
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Pulled the boat a little further today. 45 minutes, 18 miles each way. Very steep and curvy hills, up and down the whole way. It ran great the whole time and had good power, handled all the hills reasonably well (it's not a Cummins, but it did it without struggling to keep speed limit).

Of course it wasn't without issue. If I couldn't keep it above 40mph, it wanted to run hot. Never got to the high mark on the gauge, but it got close once. I was running the heater on full blast to help. The e-fans can't quite keep up with pulling a trailer up hill.

Other issue was the brakes. I still have the rear drums to do (they're doing nothing now, which I assume is very detrimental to towing). I actually managed to make the fronts smoke from slowing my descent down one of the bigger hills, but I wasn't being careful to manage my braking until after I saw the smoke. We pulled over and let it cool for a few minutes and kept going, just being more mindful of conserving momentum and avoiding braking. It made it home without further incident, but now I want to upgrade. I'm thinking new drums/shoes/cylinders/hardware in the rear and new calipers, drilled/slotted rotors, pads (what type is best for towing? Guess I better research) up front and a fluid flush for the whole system.

​​​​​​

Last edited by buick; 06-17-2020 at 07:58 PM.
Old 06-17-2020, 08:52 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

While flushing, check your proportioning valve up front; mine is seized, so I have no rear brakes until I get that fixed.

No, I'm not about to tow ANYTHING with it like that ... but alas, been "et up with life" as some of my friends put it.

RwP

Old 06-17-2020, 09:18 PM
buick
Veteran

Originally Posted by RalphP
While flushing, check your proportioning valve up front; mine is seized, so I have no rear brakes until I get that fixed.

No, I'm not about to tow ANYTHING with it like that ... but alas, been "et up with life" as some of my friends put it.

RwP
I'll take a look at it, but I assume it is working because I can hear the rear rubbing when I brake. It's a pretty awful sound because it's got no friction material on the left shoe.

I'm definitely a fool for taking this truck today - I have a Cummins with 100% new brake components on all four corners. But I wanted to see how it handled the hills with a load. I probably should have waited to at least redo the drums, but like I said, I'm a fool lol.

Now I'm looking into adding brakes to the trailer as well, I think that will make a big difference too. But it's probably only once or twice a year that I'll pull it that far, most of my fishing is less than a mile from my house.

Edit: just walked into shop and got smacked in the face with the smell of burnt brakes. I didn't notice it with the doors open, but I toasted something. Whoops lol

Last edited by buick; 06-17-2020 at 09:21 PM.
Old 06-22-2020, 04:21 PM
buick
Veteran

Everybody's favorite, drum brakes!

New parts came in and redoing all the drum stuff with Raybestos parts from rock auto. 10" drums and the new drums look much better built, even have cooling fins. I couldn't easily get the brake line out of the wheel cylinder and I don't have any extra brake line/fittings in that size on hand, so I guess I'm going to be redoing all this before long to get the new cylinders in. May as well get a bunch of ni-cop brake line and just redo everything and be done with it. I'm a pretty big fan of stopping, especially when pulling a boat.

The following users liked this post:
RalphP (06-22-2020)
Old 06-22-2020, 04:31 PM
RalphP
Champion

Don't forget extra armor for it (that spring stuff on the outside.)

I've got a 50' spool to replumb my brakes soon.

RwP

buick (06-22-2020)
Old 06-24-2020, 12:00 AM
buick
Veteran

Originally Posted by RalphP
Don't forget extra armor for it (that spring stuff on the outside.)

I've got a 50' spool to replumb my brakes soon.

RwP
Thanks Ralph. I did end up finding 3/16 tube and fittings in the shop but I had forgotten the armor, so now I'm waiting on that... And maybe for the lift to clear off, but that could be a while.

​​​​​​On the two tone:
Brake feel was so much better after doing just the one rear drum, the one that had nothing. Just wanted to get it drivable while I wait for the line armor to show up so I can do both the cylinders. Drums are a pitd so I didn't want to redo both of them twice.

And ofc today it didn't want to run right. It would start, but wouldn't hold idle. If I held lightly on the gas, it would stay running. Let off the pedal and it'll stall. Cheap aftermarket IAC within last 100 miles, thinking I'll try cleaning that or swapping with cleaned up OEM that I saved. After that, maybe fuel pump or fuel line blockage? Or it might just start and be fine tomorrow because intermittent issues are the most fun lol

Old 06-24-2020, 12:23 AM
RalphP
Champion

<Gollum voice> We hates intermintentses, we hates them, we do!!! Worse than nasty hobbitses! </Gollum Voice>

RwP

buick (06-24-2020)
Old 06-24-2020, 11:02 PM
buick
Veteran

Pulled the IAC and sprayed it with carb cleaner, although it still looked new. It started "better", still rough for a bit, then settled down. I was able to drive it to the store and back without issue. Tried to start it a second time, was pretty rough again. Once in gear and rolling it was fine. Thinking it's the cheap IAC.

Also found that my new drum is dragging. I believe that wheel cylinder is seized in the out position, which probably explains why there was no shoe on that side... Ofc I have everything here to fix it except the brake line armor, which was supposed to arrive today from Amazon, but they sent the wrong thing and I just got regular brake line, not stainless steel armor. Now I'm waiting two more days, fun.

Old 07-03-2020, 11:48 PM
buick
Veteran

Haven't got to work on my beloved Dakota lately, despite the big old pile of parts it has waiting. Shop has been clogged up with paid work and a project/flip Toyota truck. I did get to give it a good wash today though, it shines up pretty okay.

Old 07-04-2020, 09:45 AM
RalphP
Champion

She's purdy, buick!

RwP

buick (07-06-2020)

Quick Reply: 1996 V8 4x4 Build Thread