1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Push Button Start

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2020, 06:52 PM
Rqcetruck
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Push Button Start

So I'm looking at wiring in a push button start into my 94 dakota. I was wondering if anyone has done this before or any wiring diagrams because I can't find much info online

Old 01-15-2020, 09:35 PM
buick
Veteran
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I wired my 92 into a modified push button start. The ignition switch broke, so I took the steering column cover off and found the wiring harness going into the switch. I took a jumper wire and started connecting terminals until I found the set that worked the starter. Then I tapped those two wires and put a momentary button switch in between them. Now you need the key to turn the systems on, but the button works the starter. To bypass the key entirely you'll probably need to add a second switch that connects the wires turning on all the other systems, then keep the starter on a momentary switch.

Old 01-15-2020, 10:19 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by Rqcetruck
So I'm looking at wiring in a push button start into my 94 dakota. I was wondering if anyone has done this before or any wiring diagrams because I can't find much info online
I'd start with the wiring diagrams from the factory service manual.

I presume you mean one like the new cars have, not just a push button to start like buick mentioned.

RwP

Quick Reply: Push Button Start