1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Trailer wiring not working

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2020, 04:07 AM
yermyjermy
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer wiring not working

92 Dakota trailer wiring

Has the t connector that mates with the tail light on each side then merged into one 4 pin connector.

The colors that are coming off are blue, brown, yellow, and green.

Connecter prong broke so I spliced on a new one.

The issues I’m having is when I hit the left indicator, the right on the trailer flashes. Same with the other side.

When I swap turn signal wires, the correct info start synchronizes with the trailer light. However, both left and right are faintly blinking simultaneously.

Brake lights on the trailer do not work as well.

Trailer was produced in 02/2020.

Pictures:
https://imgur.com/a/8yC7oa4

Video:
https://imgur.com/a/0mZfrRf

Old 03-07-2020, 09:55 AM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 132 Likes on 124 Posts

Is it grounded well? I've never used my trailer wiring harness but I know it has a ground wire right there at the back end.

Get some Ospho and spray that rusty frame to convert that rust. It is about $20 gallon. Put something under to catch the drips. It leaves a white film where it dries. The rust will turn to a black oxide.

The following users liked this post:
RalphP (03-07-2020)
Old 03-07-2020, 10:04 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

It does sound like you messed up the wiring a bit; and that the ground is janky.

(That shows because both light up dimly and you don't get any brake light; the right turn goes right turn --> disconnected ground --> left turn --> truck's left turn --> good ground ; the left turn, swap left and right. That's why it's dim; you're trying to light 3 bulbs, so each is getting like 4.6 to 5 volts, instead of the 13.5 to 14.4 or so with the motor running.)

Ground could also be through parking lights not the truck's turn signal light; that does the same effect, although the voltage is a bit higher on the turn signal filaments (and you won't be able to tell for sure unless you watch the bulb!)

Fix your ground first, work from there.

I'll add that for under $23, plus shipping, you can get a complete new harness and avoid this fighting. https://www.etrailer.com/t1-1992_Dodge_Dakota.htm

EDIT: I'd HIGHLY recommend also adding something like this to help protect that connector:
Amazon Amazon
I've got one to put on when I put my T-connector back on the truck; I just haven't taken the time to (am still looking for a better rear bumper first!)

RwP

Last edited by RalphP; 03-07-2020 at 10:08 AM.

Quick Reply: Trailer wiring not working