1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1992 dodge dakota distributor replacement 3.9L

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2020, 09:06 AM
Charles Ross
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 dodge dakota distributor replacement 3.9L

Ok, got problems.....
my 92 dakota 3.9l had a inconsistent massive mis/loss of power. I was instructed that it was probably the distributor. Before you ask, yes I replaced cap, rotor, wires, plugs, fuel filter, breather...etc... none of this fixed the mis. So I purchased a new distributor and installed it. Fired the truck up, it ran great. No mis, drove it to town. While in town it started backfiring through the exhaust. I pulled over, shut it off for about 5 min. It started and ran great again. I drove it home and haven't drove since yesterday. What did I do wrong? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you

Old 03-26-2020, 09:37 AM
onemore94dak
Champion
Received 132 Likes on 124 Posts

Welcome.
Until someone with more experience answers look through the FAQ section. Near the top there is a description of how to check for codes with the key dance. Turn on and off three time then on. Watch the chk egn light. Count the flashes. There is also a link to the code meanings.
There are two Factory Service Manuals just past half way down for the 95 and 96 there. They should give you a good idea of how to remove install the dist. There is one thing that surprised the heck out of me for resetting the computer. When you disconnect the neg battery cable turn the key over like you are starting it and hold it for 30 seconds. Do that twice. Apparently that discharges residual energy in the system which is enough to let the computer hold old settings.

Old 03-26-2020, 09:39 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Didn't I already send you the links on how to reset fuel sync over on Facebook?

And did you ever check the timing gear/chain set?

Here's without a scanner: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...can-tools.html

Here's WITH a scanner: http://www.hughesengines.com/Upload/...ons/DistRR.pdf

RwP

Old 03-26-2020, 09:56 AM
Charles Ross
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RalphP
Didn't I already send you the links on how to reset fuel sync over on Facebook?

And did you ever check the timing gear/chain set?

Here's without a scanner: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...can-tools.html

Here's WITH a scanner: http://www.hughesengines.com/Upload/...ons/DistRR.pdf

RwP
I do not have a scanner, and it doesn't hurt to get as many opinions on things things possible.

Old 03-26-2020, 11:12 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Which is why I link the "Without a scanner" method also; it's not as good as with, but it beats nothing.

My opinion is that either the timing chain has stretched with wear, or that the plenum gasket is bad.

I can't eyeball either from here; you'd have to do that. And TBH, by the time you tear it down to check the timing chain, with the years on it, I'd just replace it especially since the 3.9 is known to eat timing chains.

Plenum? You can eyeball that - open the throttle body with the engine OFF and look down into the intake. If it's oily in the plenum, the gasket is bad; it could be cracked and shifting, causing an intermittent misfire.

Codes would also be nice; you can get those with the key dance.

Shucks, you COULD have a bad vacuum line downstream of the solenoids (EGR or EVAP), causing a bad vacuum leak only under certain circumstances. I'd be checking all of those also.

But before you do anything else - get fuel sync as good as you can.

RwP

Quick Reply: 1992 dodge dakota distributor replacement 3.9L