1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Replacing lock cylinder on 1988 Dodge Dakota

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2020, 07:52 PM
blackbird308
Amateur
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Replacing lock cylinder on 1988 Dodge Dakota

Hi all,

I lost my only key to my 1988 Dakota. So I ordered a new key and cylinder. Replaced the door locks, took a while to figure out, and it was a real pain, but made it through.

Tons of information out there on 1992+. But unfortunately for me the 1988 dakota is much different that the 1992 dakota in many different ways.

Now for the cylinder. I can't just pry the cover off. I pulled the air bag, and the steering wheel. I removed the 3 screws on the turn signal switch, along with the bolt going to the lever, got that out. Got the hazard indicating lamp unscrewed along with the hidden screw underneath it. But not im stuck, the yellow plastic backing that the turn signal switch mounted onto won't come off. It's like it's pressed in or something. I found a snap ring that was really hard to find. I got it off.

Now to remove the actual cylinder.

Anyone know what to do next?

Edit: figured it out, will post a guide later on how i did it. For now im gonna have a beer.

Last edited by blackbird308; 04-16-2020 at 09:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
nati222 (08-25-2020)
Old 04-19-2020, 10:26 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

You haven't posted the guide; however, if I may point out, all of that is in the 1988 Factory Service Manual.

The methods for tilt, and non tilt, are different in details.

And both are covered.

May I suggest you spring the $40 or less for one, so you don't have to refigure out how to do what's in it?

EDIT: Also, there's no air bag on a 1988.

RwP

Old 04-19-2020, 12:02 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by blackbird308
Hi all,

I lost my only key to my 1988 Dakota. So I ordered a new key and cylinder. Replaced the door locks, took a while to figure out, and it was a real pain, but made it through.

Tons of information out there on 1992+. But unfortunately for me the 1988 dakota is much different that the 1992 dakota in many different ways.

Now for the cylinder. I can't just pry the cover off. I pulled the air bag, and the steering wheel. I removed the 3 screws on the turn signal switch, along with the bolt going to the lever, got that out. Got the hazard indicating lamp unscrewed along with the hidden screw underneath it. But not im stuck, the yellow plastic backing that the turn signal switch mounted onto won't come off. It's like it's pressed in or something. I found a snap ring that was really hard to find. I got it off.

Now to remove the actual cylinder.

Anyone know what to do next?

Edit: figured it out, will post a guide later on how i did it. For now im gonna have a beer.

Air bag? Those didn't come in trucks until 1994. Has someone swapped a later column in?

Old 08-25-2020, 11:45 AM
nati222
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interested in your solution.
and enjoy the beer!

Quick Reply: Replacing lock cylinder on 1988 Dodge Dakota