1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Cleaning upper intake

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2020, 07:06 PM
nvshell1
Rookie
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Cleaning upper intake

Hello folks, is there a way to clean the carbon out of the upper intake manifold with it still in the truck

Old 05-04-2020, 08:07 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 372 Likes on 343 Posts

Not easily. Best thing is to pull it and while it's off, replace the plenum gasket.

Use a washer between the bolt and the plenum plate, or use a grinder and take just a bit off the tip.

RwP

Old 05-04-2020, 08:10 PM
nvshell1
Rookie

Yikes, what is the plenum plate. Or where I should say.

Old 05-04-2020, 08:12 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 372 Likes on 343 Posts

It's the bottom plate of the intake; instead of being one casting, it's an upper part and a plate.

There's actually NOT an upper intake; this isn't a Ford.

RwP

Old 05-04-2020, 08:18 PM
nvshell1
Rookie

I’m not sure I follow. Taking the engine apart like this is new to me. I probably shouldn’t even be doing what I’m doing here but I can’t afford a mechanic right now. So I’m basically relying on feedback and help from you great guys here at the forum

The following users liked this post:
onemore94dak (05-04-2020)
Old 05-04-2020, 09:06 PM
onemore94dak
Champion
Received 134 Likes on 126 Posts

Edit 3- If you mean the Throttle Body. Using carb cleaner and a wire brush is fine. It can be removed to make cleaning it easier.
Edit 2- On the topic of the title if you could get the motor to run spraying water from a spray bottle in small quantities into the Throttle Body while it is running will clean up some deposits.
Well I had never done anything more than brakes and bearings with one side off and checking the other to match it.
It isn't that I couldn't do more I just never had access to the information and knowledge and time necessary to tackle things before the interwebs. My first "big" job was doing the plenum gasket. I went with the much advocated Hughes plenum kit which I will put a link to. Mine is the 3.9. There is an instructions link on that Hughes page and it is for a V8. OK here's what I have found out since then. It isn't necessarily necessary to do a kit like that. Apparently just replacing the gasket is going to be good enough for many many years. Old as these things are I might have done that. The instructions are good. If you do it, make sure it is necessary, I suggest you get some painters tape and a sharpie to label the bolts especially off the water pump they are all different lengths, as to where they came off of. If i had to again I might make a large diagram and write down the locations on it as well and mark the part with a matching letter or number. I had some close calls. It is also recommended while you have it apart that you replace parts that are under the stuff you take off because you are there now. Instead of doing it again later. That is the timing chain, the coolant elbow I forget the name of and the sensors next to the thermostat and the thermostat. There are probably other parts in there that should get replaced when it is open. It took me 3 days about 4 hours each day because I am hobbled and I like to go slow to be sure. The guys who do this stuff regular usually take a few hours. This link is for the 3.9 they also have the V8 but you can just do the gasket if yours has failed. Easiest way to check is to look for oil on the bottom of the intake when you look down the throttle body. Use a good light. If there is wet oil the gasket probably failed. Edit 1- Oh yea if you go in for the water pump and timing chain be ready to change the oil after you put it back together as for some treason the front of the oil pan is open on top in the front and will let coolant run into it. It comes out because some of the bolts go through the water jacket so even though you drain the radiator there will still be some in the motor.
http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/p...=&partid=26194

Last edited by onemore94dak; 05-05-2020 at 10:10 AM.
Old 05-08-2020, 10:29 AM
hidden1
Captain
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I like to use the seafoam spray technique thru the throttle or brake booster line.
It reaches inside pretty well an cleans carbon great.

Quick Reply: Cleaning upper intake