1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Throttle Valve Cable?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2020, 12:34 AM
Shaderabbit
Rookie
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Throttle Valve Cable?

92 Dakota 3.9 L 4 speed auto. I'm looking for a new transmission throttle valve cable, but it seems they are unavailable. It seems there are a lot online (i.e. ebay) for 90s Dodge Rams. Will they work? Are there any cables for another application that will work without heavy modification? My original was almost broken in half, and the one I got from the junkyard does not feel right. I adjusted it by the specified procedure, and it was upshifting way too late, if at all. I adjusted it by feel and it's better, but still does not feel right. I'd really like to put a new cable on there.

Also, is the throttle cable supposed to be running right under one of the cooler line outlets on the back of the transmission? I'm almost wondering if the cable is being pinched because it fits very tightly under there. I'm not sure how else it would be routed though, considering that the cooler outlet is where it is, and the cable has to sit in the bracket that bolts to the transmission, a couple of inches in front of the cooler outlet. .

Old 07-25-2020, 12:30 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

You may have to use something like one of the Lokar generic cables.

92-93 B,D,N all used the same cable (that's van, pickup, and Dakota). So yes, a 92/93 cable should work fine since it's the exact same part number. 53009082 if you wish to Google for it.

For 94, D and N got a 52079204 which may or may not fit right up. (Dunno about the van; didn't dig into the parts list downloaded from here deep enough.)

RwP

Old 07-25-2020, 01:18 PM
Shaderabbit
Rookie

Thanks Ralph, found one place that supposedly has OEM cable in stock. Let's see if they actually have it when they go to pick my order. The sacrifices we make for square-body sexiness.

Old 07-25-2020, 07:07 PM
onemore94dak
Champion
Received 132 Likes on 124 Posts

I got mine from this place FactoryChryslerParts.com Of course that was back in June 2014
I checked that website and they no longer go back past 97.
Edit found this with Ralph's part numbers http://arizonaparts.com/quicksearchList.asp

Last edited by onemore94dak; 07-25-2020 at 08:11 PM.
Old 09-19-2020, 09:29 PM
Shaderabbit
Rookie

In the interest of posterity (aka anyone else who finds oneself in the same bind as me, lousy pun intended), the 52079204 throttle valve cable will work on a 92-93 Dakota (at least it did on my 92 3.9), as long as it is adjusted for maximum shortness (aka dinger-donger on throttle body end is pushed all the way IN / towards firewall). It's definitely not perfect, you have to mash the pedal to the floor for downshifts. However, it will delay upshifts appropriately with moderate-to-heavy pressure. Still waiting on another cable to come, it's for a Jeep, but someone in the reviews section of a certain vendor claims it will work for 92-93, even though it is not listed as such. I've got a little money to blow right now, so I ordered it anyway. I will post part number if it fits (aka is shorter/tighter) than above mentioned cable. Regardless, if you're in a bind (there's that crappy pun again), a new 52079204 will work, at least temporarily (aka until it stretches out).

PS Vendor that said they had 53009082 (the correct cable for 92-93) in stock e-mailed me the next day, said it was an inventory mistake and that they did not in fact have it, and credited me back my money.

Last edited by Shaderabbit; 09-19-2020 at 09:35 PM.
Old 09-20-2020, 09:22 AM
onemore94dak
Champion

I forget how many times I ordered something before I got that email telling me it was a mistake or just NLA before I realized these folks were phishing us for our data. Now I always call or if there is no number email before I order and ask for a hands on confirmation that they have the part.
The Arizona parts guy bought a lot of that stuff years ago when he purchased his vehicles new. Sometimes when I find something on his parts list he only has one and doesn't sell it because he is keeping it for his own eventual needs.

Last edited by onemore94dak; 09-20-2020 at 09:29 AM.
Old 09-20-2020, 03:36 PM
Shaderabbit
Rookie

I tried your link to his site back when you originally posted it, comes up as no matches found. I also went through his inventory manually, could not find it either.

Old 09-20-2020, 07:45 PM
onemore94dak
Champion

Originally Posted by Shaderabbit
I tried your link to his site back when you originally posted it, comes up as no matches found. I also went through his inventory manually, could not find it either.
It was there when I posted it. I just plugged the first part number in no joy the second part number Ralph gave you 52079204 has two results. The second one has an A after it and is only $45 and it is designated for van and PU. the first one is $100 designated for a van
Choose the search parts link, in description write TV Cable and put the part number in the next box below it hit enter

Last edited by onemore94dak; 09-20-2020 at 07:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Throttle Valve Cable?