1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

No gear at all

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2020, 05:31 PM
JeffBinWA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No gear at all

I just bought a 92 Dakota 5.2L with an automatic transmission. A friend of mine drove it to my house and said it handled well. The next morning I started it up and when I put it in reverse, the truck would not move. It also would move in Drive, 2 or 1. I have tried in 2L, 4L, 4H and 2H. The truck simply won't move, unless I push it, which I can do regardless of the gear shift position. It was low in fluid, but after filling it, it still won't move. What happened?

Old 09-01-2020, 06:21 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 372 Likes on 343 Posts

There's a chance that coincidentally with parking it, the shift linkage bushings failed and it's stuck in neutral.

The linkage is visible in the parts list (from the FAQ about 40% of the way down; there's a link to a Google Drive copy of the parts list for your 1992 - I'd get them all, since some assemblies later are individual parts earlier, and vice versa) which will show you the part numbers for the bushings and how they all fit together.

There was a change with either 1992 or 1993 - I think 1993 - in how one arm is done; the parts list will show how it changed.

There's one bushing that's NLA from Mopar, but the bushing sets in the HELP! line will have one that fits and works. Alas, I don't remember which HELP! part number the pack was.

RwP

Quick Reply: No gear at all