1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Frustration

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2020, 06:05 PM
mark38090
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Frustration

I put my intake and throttle body back together today. After I had it all torqued down I realized I left the lock down for the distributor under the intake. Had to tear it all back apart and order new gasket set.

Old 09-14-2020, 01:47 AM
WolfStar
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mark38090
I put my intake and throttle body back together today. After I had it all torqued down I realized I left the lock down for the distributor under the intake. Had to tear it all back apart and order new gasket set.
Welcome to DiY car repair. Fun isn't it?

Old 09-15-2020, 07:24 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by mark38090

Experience is what you get right AFTER you needed it. Been there, done that.

Old 09-16-2020, 01:43 AM
WolfStar
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
Yes exactly. Though often the second time through is usually much faster. The first time I did headers for my truck, it took me around 6 hrs to figure it out. I used the sh*tty paper gaskets that came with them and one side blew shortly after installation. I had to repeat the job, this time using Fel-pro gaskets, but it took me only 2 hrs. It was truly a learning experience.

Old 09-16-2020, 10:37 AM
onemore94dak
Champion
Received 132 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfStar
Yes exactly. Though often the second time through is usually much faster. The first time I did headers for my truck, it took me around 6 hrs to figure it out. I used the sh*tty paper gaskets that came with them and one side blew shortly after installation. I had to repeat the job, this time using Fel-pro gaskets, but it took me only 2 hrs. It was truly a learning experience.
Yup. the starter on the D50 is a bear to get out as the top bolt is right up against the firewall. I had starting issues and having to take it out and put it back in several times over the summer i got it down from over an hour to <15 minutes. If I find one of those double bend knuckles for the ratchet I could probably get it even shorter

Old 09-16-2020, 11:37 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by onemore94dak
Yup. the starter on the D50 is a bear to get out as the top bolt is right up against the firewall. I had starting issues and having to take it out and put it back in several times over the summer i got it down from over an hour to <15 minutes. If I find one of those double bend knuckles for the ratchet I could probably get it even shorter

I had a 2002 Honda GL1800 Goldwing. When I got it, I replaced the air filter. It took just under 4 hours. I think if I ever do that again, it'll only take maybe 2 hours. Normally, Honda bikes are easy to work on. On that one, you start at the top and dismantle the bike down. You have to move computers and servos out of the way. Then you get to reassemble the bike. Look it up on Youtube sometime.

Old 09-16-2020, 06:36 PM
mark38090
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
Great comment. Lots of truth in that.

Quick Reply: Frustration