1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Rear Backing Plates

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2020, 09:20 AM
coiled.bones
Amateur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RalphP
Have them turn whitewalls in.

Or ... locate something like https://www.spellurase.com/products/...tire-paint-pen . Note: Never have used, kind of like the white side walls; but that's a personal taste thing.

Or - as HeyYou suggests, upsize to 205/75R15s or 215/75R15s. For that skinny, they need to be LTs and Load range D (LT205/75R15D or LT215/75R15D).

You can fit a 225/75R15 without any problem; a 235/75R15 might rub at times (and if the shocks aren't great, a severe enough impact may make them bottom out against the inside of the front fenders. Which is one reason why I still plan on putting my KYBs back on, the Rancho ES5000s don't control well enough for highways in Louisiana and Oklahoma.) The 235/75R15 in a XL range (like the Nexen N'Priz tires I'm running now) will support the max weight the Dakota can; but if your factory was 195/75R15, it's not able to support max weight even with a LT/D tire on it.

RwP
Originally Posted by HeyYou
Them are some tiny tires....... Is that what came stock on your truck? If you want to stick to the same diameter, I would still be tempted to go wider..... Being it's a 4x4, slightly taller wouldn't hurt either.
Originally Posted by volaredon
Why would you even WANT something that small? I have seen many Dakotas with that as the listed size on the door sticker but have only ever seen 2 tires of that size in my life. On a shelf back when I worked for Sears. and they were heavily dusty. some of the old D 150s had that as the listed size...
I worked at a Dodge dealer back when these trucks were new and even on the cheapest of the bare bones trucks I don't ever remember seeing anything smaller on a Dakota smaller than a 205/75-R15.

I have one for you to think about (and I have seen this often in my years of fixing cars) I had a 1997 Wrangler. I got the original window sticker with it in the glove box when I had that Jeep. The door said "Minimum tire size".... 205/75R15 and even that window sticker said it came new from the factory with 215/75R15s....
I have changed out too many sets of "original" as in the tires the vehicle came with from the assembly line to even try and recount.... and it is quite common for that to be the case where what teh door says is NOT what the vehicle came with. especially it seems most common with Dodge and Jeep......
I was going based off of the tires i got the truck with. Although none of them were the same brand, they were a mix of 195/75 and 205/75 and there was 1 that was 205/70 I think. I do agree that the 195s look tiny but with the roads where i’m at there’s a lot of bumps and whatnot. I don’t know how big of a tire i could put with the suspension being worn down in the front and the amount of bumps we have here. it also doesn’t help that I live in the country and my road has a few nasty bumps. I’ll have to do some measuring and see how much room i’ve got when it’s decently loaded. i don’t think i’ll have too much in the bed hauling to do, I primarily pull trailers and such. but thank you all for your feedback.

one more thing about the whitewalls. i like them, but to me they are more of a car thing. they look out of place on a truck. that’s my view on it.

Old 09-16-2020, 09:36 AM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 132 Likes on 124 Posts

Let me tell you a story of the only new vehicle I ever bought in the 90's. I chose a Tacoma because of Toyota's reputation and they were built right there in Fremont CA.I was not as happy as I thought I would be with it. Not being rich it pissed me off. Eventually I had the money for new more truck looking tires and I went to a tire guy. I explained what I wanted and he said "I know exactly what you mean." and showed me the BF Goodrich All Terrain (which have a white striped side if you like that) But the real benefit of these tires was not in the look of them but in the wearing of them. It was as if I had an entirely different truck. Suddenly it was exactly what I wanted when I bought it. I have the same tires on my Dakota and my little D50. IDK what size they are and its dark out. Your local tire shop should be able to what size to get, and maybe you need shocks But I'd try it with good strong side wall tires on it first.

Old 09-16-2020, 10:04 AM
coiled.bones
Amateur

Originally Posted by onemore94dak
Let me tell you a story of the only new vehicle I ever bought in the 90's. I chose a Tacoma because of Toyota's reputation and they were built right there in Fremont CA.I was not as happy as I thought I would be with it. Not being rich it pissed me off. Eventually I had the money for new more truck looking tires and I went to a tire guy. I explained what I wanted and he said "I know exactly what you mean." and showed me the BF Goodrich All Terrain (which have a white striped side if you like that) But the real benefit of these tires was not in the look of them but in the wearing of them. It was as if I had an entirely different truck. Suddenly it was exactly what I wanted when I bought it. I have the same tires on my Dakota and my little D50. IDK what size they are and its dark out. Your local tire shop should be able to what size to get, and maybe you need shocks But I'd try it with good strong side wall tires on it first.
So you're suggesting me to go with whitewalls? Or just something with a larger load bearing. If you are suggesting something with a larger load bearing, what exactly should I be looking for?
I don't have a good reference point because no one I know owns a Dakota with the torsion bar suspension. And when I got mine, none of the tires were matching and I didn't know which one was the right size.

Thanks for bearing with me everyone.😟

Old 09-16-2020, 10:29 AM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 132 Likes on 124 Posts

Tires are only whitewall on one side. You can turn either side out.
Yes get better tires of whatever size you choose and the ride will be better. Honestly a set of matching crap tires will probably improve your ride just because they match.
The all terrain's will cost more than $100 each. I forget what I paid for them. Talk to your tire shop, they should be able to answer your questions and set you up with something that suits you and your wallet.
it is lighter out, I have 215/75/R15 they look right and ride well.

Last edited by onemore94dak; 09-16-2020 at 10:33 AM.
Old 09-16-2020, 11:40 AM
coiled.bones
Amateur

Originally Posted by onemore94dak
Tires are only whitewall on one side. You can turn either side out.
Yes get better tires of whatever size you choose and the ride will be better. Honestly a set of matching crap tires will probably improve your ride just because they match.
The all terrain's will cost more than $100 each. I forget what I paid for them. Talk to your tire shop, they should be able to answer your questions and set you up with something that suits you and your wallet.
it is lighter out, I have 215/75/R15 they look right and ride well.
Thank you for the information. I need to sit down and figure out what I can spend on tires because it needs a whole revamp of the brakes. That's so far not looking cheap. I also need to get it properly registered and such. I'm not sure how much that'll cost.
Another 'want' would be rims because mine look like the rear fenders of an unkept old Ford. (Not dissing on Ford [too much] but my experience with them has included lots of rust.)

Old 09-16-2020, 11:39 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

My factory tires were LT215/75R15Ds - and rode like truck tires.

I now have P235/75R15XLs ... and they ride much better; but they CAN rub without good shocks. You may want to pick something a small bit smaller.

As to rims - what year is your Dakota? I ask because mine is a 1988 with the 5 lugs, and I've got Jeep wheels on it now.

(I STILL need to get the center caps painted and put the Rams'Head logos on them ... )

RwP

Old 09-17-2020, 08:59 AM
coiled.bones
Amateur

My factory tires were LT215/75R15Ds - and rode like truck tires.

I now have P235/75R15XLs ... and they ride much better; but they CAN rub without good shocks. You may want to pick something a small bit smaller.

As to rims - what year is your Dakota? I ask because mine is a 1988 with the 5 lugs, and I've got Jeep wheels on it now.

(I STILL need to get the center caps painted and put the Rams'Head logos on them ... )

RwP
I thought about jeep rims but i didn’t think they had the same hub diameter. thanks for the idea. what year jeep are your rims off of? just to get an idea of what time frame i should look at. and with (i think they are) 205’s at the front, i accidentally went over a bump and bottomed out the frame but the wheels did not rub. so i’ll probably go to a 225 if i find one i like.

Old 09-17-2020, 10:03 AM
RalphP
Champion

225s I found were all trailer tires, not warranted for usage as a truck tire, alas.

Let me pull it up - I THINK a late 90's Cherokee. I do know the middle 90's Grand Cherokee uses the same 8.25 axle and 5x4.5 bolt pattern.

The wheel center caps fit 1997-2001 Wrangler directly. But, there's several other years with the 5x4.5 bolt pattern and a large enough center hole.

But.

Look at https://www.roadkillcustoms.com/whee...5x4.50-inches/ and check wheels with a 71.5mm center bore (that's critical; Mustang wheels that are lugcentric and have a big enough center bore will fit, but factory Mustang wheels are tight going on and tight coming off due to Ford's axles being a small twitch smaller diameter.)

Offset is important also; but some 300s have the same 5x4.5 and 71.5 CB wheel pattern; there it's more important to check offset so that they're not shoved too far IN and binding.

RwP

Old 09-18-2020, 09:00 PM
coiled.bones
Amateur

225s I found were all trailer tires, not warranted for usage as a truck tire, alas.

Let me pull it up - I THINK a late 90's Cherokee. I do know the middle 90's Grand Cherokee uses the same 8.25 axle and 5x4.5 bolt pattern.

The wheel center caps fit 1997-2001 Wrangler directly. But, there's several other years with the 5x4.5 bolt pattern and a large enough center hole.

But.

Look at https://www.roadkillcustoms.com/whee...5x4.50-inches/ and check wheels with a 71.5mm center bore (that's critical; Mustang wheels that are lugcentric and have a big enough center bore will fit, but factory Mustang wheels are tight going on and tight coming off due to Ford's axles being a small twitch smaller diameter.)

Offset is important also; but some 300s have the same 5x4.5 and 71.5 CB wheel pattern; there it's more important to check offset so that they're not shoved too far IN and binding.

RwP

I just seen this now, but earlier today I went off to the scrapyard and found rims off of a '97 (I think) Grand Cherokee. The tires that are on them are 215/75R15s, and they work. There's no rubbing at lock and no rubbing going over bumps. The rims are a tiny bit wider I believe, but there is enough room for everything to move around and such. Even with the front half shaft protruding, the center cap on the rim still fits, too.
Thank you for your help, though.

Old 09-19-2020, 02:45 PM
RalphP
Champion

You'd be surprised how many Jeep wheels are out there that fit the early 1st Gens ... this tends to be ignored due to the idiotic decision by Chrysler Corp to go to six lugs for 1991, "to show Dodge Dakotas are tougher than the competition!" Or some such bullstuff.

RwP

Quick Reply: Rear Backing Plates