1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Noise after changing timing cover gasket

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2020, 02:31 AM
Shaderabbit
Rookie
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You always want to change the oil after a job where there's a possibility of coolant mixing with oil (timing chains like this one, head gaskets, etc). I personally know guys who have been bit by that. I don't want to condemn your motor yet, cause I don't exactly recognize that sound as an internal engine problem. I watched the video a bunch of times, and I would have put money on it that it was not internal engine or timing chain-related before you tried taking the belts off. Check everything near the crankshaft pulley real close. Make sure there's no rub marks anywhere near it. Kinda surprised more people did not chime in on this thread, I'd be curious what someone else thinks or recognizes the noise.

I hear you, this year has royally sucked for me too, and a kajillion other people as well.

Old 12-12-2020, 09:23 AM
Glen440
Rookie
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If it makes that sound with no belts, Its something touching inside the cover or the balancer like mentioned above. I have not worked on that style of engine in a very long time, I don't remember if the water pump holes go through the cover or not and a too long bolt is touching the cam gear. You can drain the coolant and pull the water pump center bolts to see if the noise is still there. It can run a little with no coolant, no longer than necessary. Its going to be a process of elimination.

There is always the possibility of that noise starting right after the work and is unrelated but unlikely.

Old 12-12-2020, 12:42 PM
Chris Courtney
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Glen440
If it makes that sound with no belts, Its something touching inside the cover or the balancer like mentioned above. I have not worked on that style of engine in a very long time, I don't remember if the water pump holes go through the cover or not and a too long bolt is touching the cam gear. You can drain the coolant and pull the water pump center bolts to see if the noise is still there. It can run a little with no coolant, no longer than necessary. Its going to be a process of elimination.

There is always the possibility of that noise starting right after the work and is unrelated but unlikely.

The holes did go through. Thats what i figured it was at first. So i switched the bolts around and tried it again. I cant find a diagram on what bolts go where

Old 12-12-2020, 03:23 PM
Chris Courtney
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heres the culprit. The accidently threaded the puller into the sleeve for the balancer. It was scraping againt the timing cover

The following users liked this post:
onemore94dak (12-12-2020)
Old 12-12-2020, 05:08 PM
Shaderabbit
Rookie
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

YAAAAAYYYYY. Well, better than a wiped bearing at least....

Old 12-13-2020, 12:13 AM
crazyjerry
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yep should of put cloyes double roller chain and new gears while it was apart. should of drained oil right away also as some coolant falls in the pan

Quick Reply: Noise after changing timing cover gasket