1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Noise after changing timing cover gasket

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2020, 07:07 PM
Chris Courtney
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Noise after changing timing cover gasket

Hello everybody! As a last resort im trying to throw up a flare and hope somebody can help. I have a 91 dodge dakota (3.9l v6). I had a coolant leak that was coming out of the timing cover. I ripped everything apart and changed the timing cover gasket & water pump gasket. I got the bolts kind of mixed up but i think i got them in the right places.

I put it all back together and started to fill the coolant only to find out a hole got poked in my radiator. When the order came in I put everything together and started it up only to hear a horrible sound that I cant even describe, so I made a video and posted on youtube.

Here's the link https://youtu.be/BlrxmfpHM90

I figured it might be the bearing to my power steering pump so I took off that belt. It stopped making the sound as much while idling, but when i stepped on the gas it started doing it again then died. In the video my smog pump is bypassed, in case someone wants to tell me i forgot it. Lol

Any ideas or suggestions? This is my work truck for my business i just started. Christmas is coming up and I spent my xmas money buying parts. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Old 12-10-2020, 07:15 PM
Shaderabbit
Rookie
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Almost sounds like the fan might be hitting the shroud. Check that. If fan is not hitting the shroud, with a cold motor, take off all the other accessory belts and run it, to rule them out.

Old 12-10-2020, 08:04 PM
Chris Courtney

No marks on the shroud anywhere. When I spin the fan by hand it doesn't touch but it could be different when its running and air is blowing. The shroud isnt the most secured shroud around.

I'm worried that maybe i put the wrong bolt in and the timing chain is hitting or something. The bolts all threaded correctly though.

I've missed almost a whole weeks of work tho. I was in way too deep on this project but I couldnt afford to pay someone to do it

Old 12-10-2020, 08:33 PM
onemore94dak
Champion
Received 134 Likes on 126 Posts

I listened and it just sounded like a loud motor to me. I was hoping it was just a belt screech. I had a coolant leak recently and its making my serpentine belt squeal. Maybe take those belts off and manually see if one of the pulleys has come loose or its shaft has bent??

Old 12-10-2020, 09:12 PM
Shaderabbit
Rookie

I still think the bolt screwing something up with timing chain itself is unlikely, so no need to panic. I watched the video for the umpteenth time, and it almost looks like when the weird noise starts, the two belts for the alternator really start bouncing up and down. Since you said you don't see any marks on the shroud, I really think you probably have an accessory pulley or crankshaft pulley issue.

Old 12-11-2020, 08:16 PM
Chris Courtney

Originally Posted by Shaderabbit
I still think the bolt screwing something up with timing chain itself is unlikely, so no need to panic. I watched the video for the umpteenth time, and it almost looks like when the weird noise starts, the two belts for the alternator really start bouncing up and down. Since you said you don't see any marks on the shroud, I really think you probably have an accessory pulley or crankshaft pulley issue.
i tested all the pulleys, they seem fine. I couldnt move the pulley on the bottom but thats normal right?

Old 12-11-2020, 08:40 PM
Shaderabbit
Rookie

By hand, yes, that's normal. If you put a socket and breaker bar/large ratchet on the large bolt for the pulley on the bottom, it should move though. Did you start the truck without the accessory belts on to see if the noise is still there? Just don't let it run for more than 2 or 3 minutes, because you'll have no water pump. Over the years I've had numerous vehicles where the pulleys "felt" alright, or had some very slight roughness, but were making a lot of noise. You want to be 100% sure, unless you want to take off your crank pulley or your timing cover again for nothing. When you run it with no belts on, look at your crankshaft pulley ("the pulley on the bottom"). Make sure there's not a lot of wobble in it. I'm wondering if yours is coming apart or not installed properly.

Last edited by Shaderabbit; 12-11-2020 at 08:53 PM.
Old 12-12-2020, 12:58 AM
Chris Courtney

By hand, yes, that's normal. If you put a socket and breaker bar/large ratchet on the large bolt for the pulley on the bottom, it should move though. Did you start the truck without the accessory belts on to see if the noise is still there? Just don't let it run for more than 2 or 3 minutes, because you'll have no water pump. Over the years I've had numerous vehicles where the pulleys "felt" alright, or had some very slight roughness, but were making a lot of noise. You want to be 100% sure, unless you want to take off your crank pulley or your timing cover again for nothing. When you run it with no belts on, look at your crankshaft pulley ("the pulley on the bottom"). Make sure there's not a lot of wobble in it. I'm wondering if yours is coming apart or not installed properly.

I ran it with no belts and it still made the noise. The crankshaft pulley looked fine. It only seems to make the sound when i rev the engine

Old 12-12-2020, 01:36 AM
Shaderabbit
Rookie

Hmmmmmm. Check and make sure there's no bent brackets or ignition timing markers or anything near the crankshaft pulley. If they all look good, maybe you're stuck pulling that cover back off : Honestly I'm pretty surprised, my timing chain started to go, and it sounded nothing like your noise. Mine's a Magnum and not an LA, but I've never heard any other timing chain going bad make a noise like that either. When you had the cover off, did you poke at the timing chain at all? I'm just curious how loose (or not) it was.

Also, you changed the engine oil after you put the new timing chain cover gasket on, before starting it up, right?

Last edited by Shaderabbit; 12-12-2020 at 01:57 AM.
Old 12-12-2020, 02:03 AM
Chris Courtney

Hmmmmmm. Check and make sure there's no bent brackets or ignition timing markers or anything near the crankshaft pulley. If they all look good, maybe you're stuck pulling that cover back off : Honestly I'm pretty surprised, my timing chain started to go, and it sounded nothing like your noise. Mine's a Magnum and not an LA, but I've never heard any other timing chain going bad make a noise like that either. When you had the cover off, did you poke at the timing chain at all? I'm just curious how loose (or not) it was.

Also, you changed the engine oil after you put the new timing chain cover gasket on, before starting it up, right?
The timing chain was in good shape, it had a little slack tho. I didnt change the oil though. Dont tell me I screwed the engine up completely ..My christmas is already ruined. My business will be ruined if this truck doesnt start working right =/

Quick Reply: Noise after changing timing cover gasket