1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

87 Dakota 2wd project

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2020, 07:06 PM
Ryan Oneill
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 Dakota 2wd project

Okay. Bought an 87 Dakota with the Holly 6830 carb I believe. Done a bunch of work to it. Breaks tires lines carb ect. It wasn't running well at all when I bought it. My issue now is this
i rebuilt the carb. Turns over no issue. Gets gas. What happens is while it's in p/n it idles extremely high, shift it into drive (it's an auto) idle drops and goes low. What happens is when I give it gas (throttle) it spits and spurts and wants to quit unless I come off the gas. Once I come off it idles fine again. It will drive but only at maybe 5km. Any amount of throttle given and it wants to quite.

I know it has a bad head gasket and possibly a valve gasket.
It spits black soot or a liquid carbon and smokes black on initial start up. There is no sign of backfire from either tail pipe or carb.

Items that iv changed. New fuel filter, fuel lines, choke pull off, I have a new fuel pump to put in, fully rebuilt the carb, oil change new distributer cap with wires and new plugs.

Any amount of help or insight would be life saving at this point as I'm about to pull my hair out. Thank-you everyone in advance. Iv attached photos so maybe someone can point something out

Old 12-16-2020, 08:31 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Change that rusty *** coil first. The clamp is the ground for the secondary; you may have bad spark due to that. Can't hurt at worst.

Have you verified timing? Especially verified cam timing (make sure TDC is at, well, TDC of cylinder 1)?

Check for any possible vacuum leaks. At this age, any rubber vacuum line that's not been replaced should be.

I'd start there; but it's acting like it's out of time.

RwP

Quick Reply: 87 Dakota 2wd project