1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1996 Dakota losing power at hiway speed

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2021, 11:50 AM
MikeMigs
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1996 Dakota losing power at hiway speed

Have a 1996 Dakota club cab 4x4 v-8 auto. 102K miles Recently when driving on hiway if I depress accelerator on a slight incline the engine seems to loss power as it tries to downshift. Getting frustrated as I have had transmission rebuilt, and same situation occurs. Additionally replaced rear brakes as wheel cylinder blew out. Any suggestions of what it might be would be very helpful as the transmission guy says it must be catalytic converter or map sensor. Another tech says torque converter. Any ideas?

Old 01-06-2021, 11:58 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Have you scanned it for codes? How did you determine the transmission needed to be rebuilt? Sounds like you don't have very competent mechanics if they are all just guessing. What maintenance have you done? Plugs? Air Filter?

Old 01-06-2021, 12:02 PM
MikeMigs

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Have you scanned it for codes? How did you determine the transmission needed to be rebuilt? Sounds like you don't have very competent mechanics if they are all just guessing. What maintenance have you done? Plugs? Air Filter?
Change plugs and air filter regularly

Old 01-06-2021, 12:31 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeMigs
Have a 1996 Dakota club cab 4x4 v-8 auto. 102K miles Recently when driving on hiway if I depress accelerator on a slight incline the engine seems to loss power as it tries to downshift. Getting frustrated as I have had transmission rebuilt, and same situation occurs. Additionally replaced rear brakes as wheel cylinder blew out. Any suggestions of what it might be would be very helpful as the transmission guy says it must be catalytic converter or map sensor. Another tech says torque converter. Any ideas?

Hook a vacuum gauge to the engine. Especially if the truck is only driven short distances over the years. If it dropos when you give it throttle, you may have a partly plugged exhaust. It could be the catalytic converter, it could be the muffler has rusted inside and collapsed or you might have a little apartment house for mice in the tail pipe. (With a little mouse in uniform at the opening, you know, a door mouse. ) In any of these cases, the solution is simple once you find it. With the low miles and age, I'll bet it's either the muffler or converter. You've never cooked the moisture out of the exhaust.

The following 2 users liked this post by ol' grouch:
jkeaton (01-06-2021), RalphP (03-25-2021)
Old 01-06-2021, 02:25 PM
onemore94dak
Champion
Received 134 Likes on 126 Posts

I had this problem in my 94 3.9 auto. rebuilding trans fixed some of it with a new TV cable. I adjusted the TV cable some, redid the bushings in the linkage under the drivers feet. I still have to turn the OD off to climb a hill w/o losing a lot of momentum if I start up it at less than 60mph. Recently the OD seemed to have a problem that turned out to be the fuse. (#16 5amp) I changed all my fuses assuming they were all old and it drives better and seems to be getting better mileage too.
I also put in an new exhaust from the manifold back.

The following users liked this post:
jkeaton (01-06-2021)
Old 01-08-2021, 06:02 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

do a complete tuneup (cap rotor wires plugs and filters) and see what taht does.... so many "transmission" issues wind up being misfires.

MikeMigs (01-09-2021)
Old 01-08-2021, 09:51 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 372 Likes on 343 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeMigs
It's a 1996, it's OBDII.

I'd use something like a ELM327 generic OBDII/BlueTooth adapter, and Torque (free or paid; paid was $5 last I bought it!) and datalog several items, like the TPS settings, the MAP sensor, etc.

And see if the ECU will tell you what it thinks is wrong.

RwP

MikeMigs (01-09-2021)
Old 03-25-2021, 02:21 PM
MikeMigs

I would like to thank everyone for the input. It was the catalytic converter

Last edited by MikeMigs; 04-09-2021 at 06:12 AM.
RalphP (03-25-2021)

Quick Reply: 1996 Dakota losing power at hiway speed