1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

88 3.9L dakota

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2021, 08:17 PM
Zero_escape56
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 3.9L dakota

I need some help! I have an 88 dakota with a 3.9 v6 and a 3 speed auto trans. 6 months ago I lost fuel and spark at the coil, since then I've replaced the ignition coil, the ecm, the fuel pump, and the asd relay, im at a loss and out of ideas. Please help !!

Old 02-22-2021, 08:25 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 372 Likes on 343 Posts

Do you have the factory service manual?

There's a fusible link that with age is getting ready to just fracture; I had the kickdown relay (part throttle unlock, or torque converter lockup - take your pick which you call it) coming apart so it blew the link.

Do you have 12V at the Dark Blue/Green wire at the ASD relay when the power is on? How about at the red wire?

Have you checked for continuity to and from the ignition switch itself? If that goes bad, you may have some really weird symptoms.

RwP

Old 02-24-2021, 12:13 PM
Zero_escape56

Originally Posted by RalphP
Do you have the factory service manual?

There's a fusible link that with age is getting ready to just fracture; I had the kickdown relay (part throttle unlock, or torque converter lockup - take your pick which you call it) coming apart so it blew the link.

Do you have 12V at the Dark Blue/Green wire at the ASD relay when the power is on? How about at the red wire?

Have you checked for continuity to and from the ignition switch itself? If that goes bad, you may have some really weird symptoms.

RwP

No I havent checked the ignition switch, I didnt think that would be it but tbh im runnin out of options, as far as the fusible link i havent found anything resembling one around the throttle unlock

Old 02-24-2021, 09:53 PM
RalphP
Champion

The fusible link is in the wiring harness between the battery and the relays on the driver's side.

And it's an old school fusible link - a special hank of wire.

Look for the rubber splices; check between both sides.

RwP

The following 2 users liked this post by RalphP:
Matthew Parlier (03-15-2021), Zero_escape56 (03-01-2021)
Old 03-23-2021, 03:45 PM
Zero_escape56

Originally Posted by RalphP
The fusible link is in the wiring harness between the battery and the relays on the driver's side.

And it's an old school fusible link - a special hank of wire.

Look for the rubber splices; check between both sides.

RwP

Everything looks fine there
could a lack of power to the cab fuse box cause it not to start? Cause I have no power in the cab whatsoever
the horn works and I think the windows and locks work

Old 03-23-2021, 04:10 PM
onemore94dak
Champion
Received 134 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Zero_escape56
could a lack of power to the cab fuse box cause it not to start? Cause I have no power in the cab whatsoever
Forgive me for being pedantic but did you actually open up the splice to look at the fusible link to see if it has broken/fused?

Old 03-23-2021, 04:57 PM
Zero_escape56

Originally Posted by onemore94dak
Forgive me for being pedantic but did you actually open up the splice to look at the fusible link to see if it has broken/fused?
yeah I did and the lower splice was good but the Upper was kind sketchy so I spliced in a new segment to see if it'd help anything and there wasn't any difference

Old 03-23-2021, 07:56 PM
RalphP
Champion

Originally Posted by Zero_escape56
I'd be checking the connections in the bulkhead fitting to see if the lower power fittings have corroded any; that's been noted in a few trucks.

But yes, no power in the cab will cause it to not start, since the starter is switched through the cab ...

Do you have the factory service manual for your Dakota yet? May be time to start chasing the 12V and see where it stops.

RwP

Quick Reply: 88 3.9L dakota