1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

94 RWD Coil Spring Compressor?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2021, 03:13 PM
kozmothewonderdog
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 94 RWD Coil Spring Compressor?

Looking for feedback from folks who have used internal coil spring compressors to disassemble their front suspension. I need to remove both upper & lower control arms, clean up the frame a bit, etc.

The original tool (DD-1278) specified in the FSM is made by Miller and costs $300+... I know I can rent either the "4-finger" type or the "2-finger plus a plate" type from either Advance Auto or Autozone:
4-finger: https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...8603/9150042-P

2-finger plus plate: https://www.autozone.com/loan-a-tool...sor/555573_0_0

Anybody have experience with either/both and have a strong opinion (or any opinion, really) on which one is better suited for a RWD 94 Dakota?

Old 03-01-2021, 10:59 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 372 Likes on 343 Posts

I used the 2 finger, but I used the frame hole for the shock for the plate.

YMMV, natch.

RwP

Old 03-02-2021, 09:36 AM
kozmothewonderdog

Originally Posted by RalphP
I used the 2 finger, but I used the frame hole for the shock for the plate.

YMMV, natch.

RwP
So you put the plate up on top of the frame, and used the 2 fingers to pull the bottom part of the spring upward to compress it? I need to fully remove both the upper and lower control arms - wouldn't the plate interfere with the upper control arm/pivot rod?

Old 03-02-2021, 11:22 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 372 Likes on 343 Posts

Originally Posted by kozmothewonderdog
So you put the plate up on top of the frame, and used the 2 fingers to pull the bottom part of the spring upward to compress it? I need to fully remove both the upper and lower control arms - wouldn't the plate interfere with the upper control arm/pivot rod?
Didn't need the plate IIRC.

And, once you remove the lower control arm, release the spring compressor, remove the spring, and presto, you can now remove the upper control arm on a 2WD.

For reassembly, I just used enough tension to put the jack under the LCA while installing the spring; as soon as it was able to captivate the spring, I then remove the compressor and lifted the LCA until I could fasten the ball joint to the spindle.

Then some more to install the shock.

RwP

The following users liked this post:
kozmothewonderdog (03-02-2021)
Old 03-05-2021, 12:05 PM
Matthew Parlier
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default So

I tried that and there's wasn't enough space for me personally, what I did, because I completely tore apart my front end and painted and replaced all the control arm bushings ball joints etc. On Ebay, they have mini coil spring compressors I bought a 4 pack for around 25 dollars and I attached 2 on each side, had to get thinner and longer hardware to accommodate my particular needs, cheap home depot hardware, installed the spring using the Jack method, then once everything is attached like the spindle, all i did was take a saw jaw and cut the cheap hardware i bought, safe and cheap, hope this helps. Reused the mini brackets on the other side with new cheap hardware.

Old 03-05-2021, 12:55 PM
kozmothewonderdog

Originally Posted by Matthew Parlier
I tried that and there's wasn't enough space for me personally, what I did, because I completely tore apart my front end and painted and replaced all the control arm bushings ball joints etc. On Ebay, they have mini coil spring compressors I bought a 4 pack for around 25 dollars and I attached 2 on each side, had to get thinner and longer hardware to accommodate my particular needs, cheap home depot hardware, installed the spring using the Jack method, then once everything is attached like the spindle, all i did was take a saw jaw and cut the cheap hardware i bought, safe and cheap, hope this helps. Reused the mini brackets on the other side with new cheap hardware.
Interesting, thanks. I'm going to be taking everything out and rust-treating/painting that part of the frame, as well as the control arms. Will report back here on which route I go...

The following users liked this post:
Matthew Parlier (03-05-2021)
Old 03-05-2021, 04:32 PM
Matthew Parlier
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Good times!

Just trying to help, worked for me, I found it difficult and almost unsafe to use just the Jack method, maybe im not as skilled as others in this awesome forum. But the spring sat line 3 or 4 inches in the frame on my 96 Dakota, I'll bet others posts would work fine, but to me personally, I felt the safest with my method. And it worked great. Stitch in time saves nine my friend, thanks for your time.

Quick Reply: 94 RWD Coil Spring Compressor?