1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Random Loss of Power (Fault1 Key-On 29)

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2021, 10:20 PM
parkerarbu
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Random Loss of Power (Fault1 Key-On 29)

Hello!
I've asked a few questions relating to this problem before, but now, I feel like I have some more information available that may help in diagnosing this issue.
First, let me explain the issue. What seems like completely randomly while driving, my truck will lose power. It doesn't completely stall, but if I try to put more throttle, the more power it loses. While this is happening, I can also hear it backfire.
Now, here's some information that may be helpful in diagnosing it:
- Fuel Pressure is fine, especially considering that it's backfiring.
- I've replaced numerous things:
  1. Throttle Position Sensor
  2. Ignition Coil
  3. Distributor Cap/Rotor
  4. Catalytic Converter
  5. There's probably more, but I can't remember at this point.
- The other day, I bit the bullet and bought a scan tool that can do live data logging, and earlier today, on the way home from work, the issue happened. I wasn't able to see anything that was off, EXCEPT for a line in the "Sensors" section that said "Fault1 Key-On: 29" Now, I'm not sure whether that means anything or not, but I searched up code 29 to see if it corresponded to a check engine code, and it didn't. I feel that this most likely has something to do with the issue, but I'm not sure where I can get more information on this... if anywhere.
- I've seen online that this issue could be related to a crank position sensor or an ECM. I have an ECM in the mail, since I ordered one from O'Reilly's, but that one was bad. Since they won't give me a refund unless I show proof that I ordered a different one, I had to buy one from a different company, since I don't want to give them my business anymore if I was given a faulty one.

So, to go over it again:
- Fuel pressure is fine
- Not something getting stuck/clogged in the catalytic converter
- Thinking that it's most likely a CPS or ECM.

Thank you so much!
Parker

Quick Reply: Random Loss of Power (Fault1 Key-On 29)