1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Another issue, distributer questions.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2021, 08:42 PM
Gnarlea
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another issue, distributer questions.

I went in with my limited mechanical knowledge and replaced my crank shaft sensor, pickup plate, rotor and distributer cap. I am now getting code 11, I did accidentally jostle and potentially turned the rotor while getting the cap on so my question is did I throw it out of timing? The truck starts and idles seemingly fine. Revs up fine. I’m not sure where to go from here.

Old 06-14-2021, 09:07 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,387 Likes on 3,127 Posts

Clear the code, and drive it some more. If the truck starts, then the PCM is getting enough signal from the sensor to start the engine at least.

Old 06-14-2021, 09:19 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,387 Likes on 3,127 Posts

I might also be tempted to put the original crank sensor back in.

Old 06-14-2021, 09:29 PM
Gnarlea

Is there a danger of throwing it out of timing if I moved the rotor on accident?

Old 06-14-2021, 09:43 PM
onemore94dak
Champion
Received 134 Likes on 126 Posts

It is very unlikely your moving the rotor affected the timing. If it is a magnum the computer does the timing no matter where the distributor is turned the computer keep it timed., Turning the distributor only changes when the injector fires in the firing cycle.. If it is an LA motor that times normally the oil pump and distributor would have to be very loose to let itself be turned with the rotor far enough to get out of time.
The flat face on the pin the rotor fits over should prevent it from moving very far and the bottom of that pin being the oil pump it is unlikely you moved it very far. There is some normal play I am not sure what that is. the less the better though.

The following users liked this post:
Gnarlea (06-14-2021)
Old 06-14-2021, 09:51 PM
Gnarlea

Awesome, after reading that I did go out and clear the codes then re ran them just to check and after the reset code 11 was gone, thinking back I did crank the truck over once when I changed the crank and the sensor wasn’t plugged in, which would explain why that code was stored

Quick Reply: Another issue, distributer questions.