1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

97 Dakota no start

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2021, 08:55 AM
Dansvirtue
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Dakota no start

Originally Posted by Devon Farber
crank no start. (Not trying to **** anybody off) post has all photos. I cant figure this out. I'm so stressed, daily driver. I'm cutting holes in beds to fix my new pumps alignment. Swapping key cylinder der housings.(mine had bent contacts) and prepped donor harness. I'm seriously burnt out on it, feel like I'm missing something here. Begrudgingly gone through more than ever before in any vehicle. Why still crank no start?
hey man same issue youre having thats how i came to this thread, any luck on your issue? have you checked the fuel rails for pressue
check this clip out
ive gotA 92 V8 DAKOTA I just bought that i cannot figure out why it cranks but no start, gunna take another swing at it today

Old 07-13-2021, 09:12 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Check fuel pressure, check fuel flow, see if you have spark while it's cranking or not.

Check splice in the wiring harness (there's a 3 wire splice that likes to corrode with age, about the windshield washer reservoir, from what I've read.)

Pick up a spare relay and swap in for fuel and/or ASD in the power distribution center (PDC) under the hood.

(Shucks, it's a standard Bosch 4 or 5 terminal relay; grab a couple inexpensive off of Amazon, and swap both for new.)

Grab the factory service manual (hint: Is it a Chilton or Haynes Dakota? No? Then those aren't FACTORY service manuals) and test the crank position sensor.

Those are good first steps in checking what is, and isn't, working.

RwP

The following users liked this post:
tndakman (07-13-2021)
Old 07-13-2021, 10:28 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts

Created a separate thread so this gets more visability.

Old 07-14-2021, 11:28 AM
Dansvirtue
Default Fixed issues for now

Originally Posted by RalphP
Check fuel pressure, check fuel flow, see if you have spark while it's cranking or not.

Check splice in the wiring harness (there's a 3 wire splice that likes to corrode with age, about the windshield washer reservoir, from what I've read.)

Pick up a spare relay and swap in for fuel and/or ASD in the power distribution center (PDC) under the hood.

(Shucks, it's a standard Bosch 4 or 5 terminal relay; grab a couple inexpensive off of Amazon, and swap both for new.)

Grab the factory service manual (hint: Is it a Chilton or Haynes Dakota? No? Then those aren't FACTORY service manuals) and test the crank position sensor.

Those are good first steps in checking what is, and isn't, working.

RwP
hey everyone
FIXED THE CRANK BUT NO START
HAD SPARK IN IGNITION AND SPARK PLUGS SO ADS RELAY WAS GOOD
WAS NOT GETTING FUEL PRESSURE
WAS DUE TO
Found several bad grounds bad engine.ground
Replaced map sensor, double checked a few others , found a few bad splices
Also replaced the fuel pump, ****ed up the gauge but thing runs and has fuel pressure to the rails
fuel pump insides hose blew apart so it was activating just not pumping through either, after several times taking it apart I think I fixed this temporarily long enough
and replaced a few relays and found a leaking fuel line wire that I cut out and replaced as well as the fuel filter

She is running! Finally brought her home again
Threw out my damn back under the thing in a weird way but that's life, win some lose some!

Thank in advance for everyone's help
I recommend buying the factory repair manual for $30 online then getting the pdf version, saved a **** ton of guessing time cuz this vehicle has so many ****ing splices should called her one of the splice girls ffs

But yea just rewired everything, restarted from.the basics and took a day away from the thing

Gl everyone

Old 07-14-2021, 12:52 PM
onemore94dak
Champion
Received 132 Likes on 124 Posts

I had a bad gas gauge. Turns out the pump was rotated so the float arm didn't work. It should point forward so the float is toward the front of the truck.

Old 07-14-2021, 01:29 PM
Dansvirtue

Originally Posted by onemore94dak
I had a bad gas gauge. Turns out the pump was rotated so the float arm didn't work. It should point forward so the float is toward the front of the truck.
Well was running tops now i got a coolant leak from some where and some smoke and ****s hot, but atleast i ran and grabbed some potatoes,
gunna make some chips then do we start a new thread for coolant??

infront of passenger under radiator fan big puddle, was blastingggg the a/c

Old 07-14-2021, 02:15 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Probably one of the side tanks sprung a leak.

Quick Reply: 97 Dakota no start