1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1996 5.2 Cranks, but fails to start

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2021, 08:10 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 372 Likes on 343 Posts

Not what I asked.
'
It's a 1996, it's OBDII, and you should have a 55 code at the end if you're using the key dance.

Use a competent OBDII reader. I'm fond of a quality ELM327 type OBDII/Bluetooth adapter and Torque (Free is free, Pro is under $10) on an Android device.

RwP

Old 10-14-2021, 12:23 PM
Pglizerd
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dakota

Hello Ralph I will try the obd reader and see what codes I can get if it will even link up to it sometimes it will other times it won't I went out yesterday and turned key on fuel pump ran but no start I will check to see if it has sprak from coil but 2 days ago it was no fuel pump no spark I think I will name it Christine

Old 10-21-2021, 08:01 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

when my splice went to **** it was not under the fuse box under the hood but ~a foot from it, in the harness.... was in a Wendys drive thru and it just died. had to push it into a parking spot and call the wife, she brought me home and I grabbed a few tools, and had it fixed in ~15 minutes. never did try a scanner to try and figure it out....... has been fine ever since which was about a year ago..... I have 236K on mine, original engine, unrebuilt 318.

Old 10-22-2021, 07:09 AM
Pglizerd
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dakota

Originally Posted by volaredon
when my splice went to **** it was not under the fuse box under the hood but ~a foot from it, in the harness.... was in a Wendys drive thru and it just died. had to push it into a parking spot and call the wife, she brought me home and I grabbed a few tools, and had it fixed in ~15 minutes. never did try a scanner to try and figure it out....... has been fine ever since which was about a year ago..... I have 236K on mine, original engine, unrebuilt 318.
HELLO so yours was about a foot from fuse box under hood I checked wiring at fuse box but I didn't go a foot in either direction I may have to look at that mine is still not running

Old 01-03-2022, 11:27 AM
LoveMy5.2
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Figured I would give an update on my Dakota situation.

After going through about 80% of the FSM troubleshooting for no start conditions I finally broke down and just ordered a replacement computer for the truck.
When the unit came I replaced the old unit with the refurb and connected up the battery, before turning it over I decided to attach the OBD reader just for grins and to my delight the reader was now communicating with the new computer!
Turned the key and after a handful of cranks she fired right up! I wish I would have went with my initial instincts a couple months ago and had just ordered the replacement, but due to most suppliers charging core or restocking fees on computers I had decided to go down the rabbit hole of troubleshooting sensor by sensor, splices, etc.

My thoughts on the ordeal are, when troubleshooting a no start condition, and you are not able to get a OBD reader to connect and communicate, check the fuses/relays etc, and then go ahead and consider replacing the computer. That at least has worked for me this time.

For what its worth, I ordered the replacement computer from Flagship 1 https://www.fs1inc.com and they had it pulled, VIN programmed, and shipped out to me within a couple days, ended up getting it delivered in about 5 days total after purchase, Not bad at all. Not an endorsement, just a review of the experience of ordering from them.

Good luck to everyone else dealing with similar gremlins with their aging Dakotas!

Old 01-05-2022, 02:29 PM
LoveMy5.2
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Of course, now that its back up and running its throwing a p0748 transmission governor solenoid code and stuck in 3rd gear it feels like. lol, well always something to do on the old thing, at least it cranks and drives now.

The following users liked this post:
tndakman (01-05-2022)

Quick Reply: 1996 5.2 Cranks, but fails to start