1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1996 Dakota problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2021, 05:06 PM
Trevorcole
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Dakota problem

I'm working on 96 Dakota,it has spark,and I've tested the sensor under distributor cap to verify it is producing a 0-5 volt variation so I assume it is functioning properly......I can dribble some gas down the throttle body and it will start and run as long as i feed it fuel.i replaced fuel pump just to be sure it was good(it had good fuel pressure),but I changed it anyways,the ASD relay is functioning correctly....when I first got the truck,it wouldn't spark either,I found that somebody had put the sensor ground under the positive post of alternator...after I located that issue and moved it to ground where it belonged I was able to pour gas down throttle body and it would run,so I bought the sensor under distributor cap,but it still won't start on its own.....any advice and help would be greatly appreciated

Old 10-13-2021, 05:13 PM
Trevorcole
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm new to forum,I noticed that I posted this question in wrong section...I apologize,but any advice would still be greatly appreciated

Old 10-13-2021, 07:56 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

No worries.

Do you have fuel pressure now? Does the pump run at initial key on? and for a few seconds after cranking?

Moving this to first gen dakota for ya.

Old 10-13-2021, 08:12 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 372 Likes on 343 Posts

If it's only missing fuel, have you checked the fuel pump relay in the PDC (fuse box under hood)? That's where I'd be looking with a new fuel pump.

If it's sparking, the crank position sensor (on the back of the passenger head, not in the distributor!) is working.

RwP

Quick Reply: 1996 Dakota problem