1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Please help strange problem. 94 dakota 5.2L v8

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2022, 12:26 PM
Jtramelli
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help strange problem. 94 dakota 5.2L v8

I have a 94 5.2L 4x4 dakota and it will idle as long as you want it to and you can rev it up in park or neutral and it will stay running good but as soon as you drive it half a mile or less it will die every time. I have already replace fuel pump, computer, crank sensor, plugs wires and distributor and i still cannot figure it out. Someone suggested to me that it could be the torque converter but i checked transmission fluid and it is healthy lookin. Please help!

Old 01-15-2022, 12:57 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,201 Likes on 2,953 Posts

Does it die while you are going down the road, or when you come to a stop?

Old 01-16-2022, 01:39 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 576 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by Jtramelli
I have a 94 5.2L 4x4 dakota and it will idle as long as you want it to and you can rev it up in park or neutral and it will stay running good but as soon as you drive it half a mile or less it will die every time. I have already replace fuel pump, computer, crank sensor, plugs wires and distributor and i still cannot figure it out. Someone suggested to me that it could be the torque converter but i checked transmission fluid and it is healthy lookin. Please help!

Any codes in the computer? The key dance will tell you any codes to tell you where to start looking. Your ignition key and Check Engine Light will let you pull the codes. Do NOT go to the start position. You turn the key to on, off, on, offf, and on and leave it on the tird time. Your CEL will start to flash. Once then twice will be code 12. That means the battery has been disconnected in the last 50-100 key starts. This is normal. Code 55 means end of test cycle. Anything else will be something the computer sees out of normal parameters. Haynes prints a decent repair manual and the trouble codes are in chapter 6 under emissions systems. If you find any codes, you can tell us here or look it up yourself. I like the books because while I know what I'm doing, sort of, I like to have the specs. handy.

Old 01-16-2022, 08:47 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

you replaced the distributor. a waste on these trucks. Nothing in distributor to go bad, below the distributor pick up.
did you replace cap and rotor? use good parts, and not bottom of the barrel quality?
if you replaced whole distributor did you set "sync" correctly?

Quick Reply: Please help strange problem. 94 dakota 5.2L v8