1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

The 10-year Clunk

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2022, 05:09 PM
bronze
Record Breaker
Received 425 Likes on 364 Posts
Default The 10-year Clunk

Just a story here. I've had these clunking, creaking, crunching, scraping, grinding, popping, slapping noises going on for a good 10 years. Add I had a nasty vibration at the steering limits. Most of it from the front end. Pretty bad sounds that make you say to yourself, "I gotta fix whatever that is before I end up in a ditch!"

My truck needed it's 28-year checkup so this past summer I started replacing all kinda stuff on my truck that was in dire need. I swear my truck is half brand new now. I figgered I'd eventually find where that noise was coming from and eliminate it. Well, as it turned out, there has been far more than one source. For instance, I replaced all the balljoints, tie rods, wheel bearings, control arm bushings, drums, rotors, pads, shoes, brake hoses, endlinks, other various bushings, And after all that work, I eliminated only 20% of the noise. Yes, I was disappointed. Well, I knew at least one of my motor mounts was cracked so I changed out both motor mounts (hired a guy for this job cuz I knew it would be a PITA and it was!). Anyhow, that eliminated another 20% of the noise plus all the nasty vibration. Cool, I'll take it! But I could not find the other 60% to save my life. I even had a seasoned mechanic look it over and he couldn't find it either. So I brought it to another mechanic I know. Younger guy but brilliant, tenacious, and an excellent mechanic's temperament. He found the frame crossmember that the driveshaft center bearing support attaches had two loose bolts. He needed a stethoscope and four mechanics to hunt it down but he got her. Hark! That eliminated another 20% of the noise. Down to 40%. Today I decided to change out my front brake calipers thinking that was contributing to the noise. Seemed unlikely since I have no leakage anywhere and the brakes worked perfectly fine, but what the hell. I'm outta ideas and outta stuff to replace. Anyhow, I replaced the original calipers and put in reman calipers today. I'll be danged! Another 20% was eliminated. Only thing I can figger is that square cut piston seal got lazy and wouldn't retract normally so the pads would get a little hung up. So, now I've eliminated 80% of the noise but still have 20% to go. NEXT: The master cylinder. When I poured out the brake fluid from my old calipers it was El Nastito! Deep, rusty, sludgy crap that was stuck behind the piston. Well, if it messed up my calipers it most definitely has messed up my master cylinder. So I'll get a brand new one and replace it. I'm guessing it will eliminate 19%. It just wouldn't be right for an old truck not to have any noises.

Last edited by bronze; 02-03-2022 at 05:13 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by bronze:
Alexander Buck (02-05-2022), Flounderguy (02-04-2022), tbugden (02-21-2022), tndakman (02-04-2022)

Quick Reply: The 10-year Clunk