1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

alternator/generator

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2022, 01:18 PM
Flounderguy
Professional
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default alternator/generator

I am getting about 10v to my alternator ground wire. This ground location is shared with the PCM. The black device on the back of the alternator has a dark blue and dark green wire. It looks like the DB wire goes to the ignition switch and the DG wire goes to the PCM. The long black wire goes to ground. The short black wire bolts onto the alternator as does the other side of the black box. I thought the PCM included the voltage regulator. The black box has a part# 56004016C. Any idea what it is called?

Do you think this black thing is the problem, or is it the alternator?

Old 03-14-2022, 03:02 PM
bronze
Record Breaker
Received 425 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by Flounderguy
I am getting about 10v to my alternator ground wire. This ground location is shared with the PCM. The black device on the back of the alternator has a dark blue and dark green wire. It looks like the DB wire goes to the ignition switch and the DG wire goes to the PCM. The long black wire goes to ground. The short black wire bolts onto the alternator as does the other side of the black box. I thought the PCM included the voltage regulator. The black box has a part# 56004016C. Any idea what it is called?

Do you think this black thing is the problem, or is it the alternator?
I forgot what year your Dakota is. But yes, the voltage regulator is in the PCM (though some people, like me, opted to install an external voltage reg when the one in their PCM crapped out). That black rubbery thingy behind your alternator with the terminals, wires, and ground cable going thru it is nothing more than an organized way to connect all those wires to where they belong. It also protects the connections from corrosion (ask me how I know that). But it doesn't perform any electrical function.

Old 03-14-2022, 03:10 PM
Flounderguy
Professional
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks Bronze. Mine is a 95.

Any recommendations for an external voltage regulator.

Old 03-14-2022, 03:28 PM
bronze
Record Breaker
Received 425 Likes on 364 Posts

I'd verify your voltage regulator is shot before going with an external regulator. Someone with better electronics savvy than I can help you diagnose your alternator/PCM. I wouldn't give up on it just yet. But here is where I got my external voltage regulator (he does YouTube vids too under AlternatorMan).

https://alternatorparts.com/external...nator-kit.html

I got the ERCKFRM kit. Also got the W3013 Relay kit (lower on the same page). The relay kit is a ripoff and you could probably rig your own. I was too lazy and just bit the bullet and spent the $$.

If'n you end up getting this external voltage regulator, get back to me and I'll give you all the tips and tricks to installing it. Not too hard really but there are pitfalls and I had to learn the hard way. You can avoid all that with my tips and tricks.

Last edited by bronze; 03-14-2022 at 03:32 PM.

Quick Reply: alternator/generator