1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Alternator not charging

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2022, 12:33 AM
Chetti2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator not charging

Okay so I have a 92 Dodge Dakota 5.2 l V8 it has a brand new starter brand new battery brand new alternator the alternator is not charging the battery any ideas that this could be I replace the computer approximately a year and a half ago maybe less all my sensors are new new ground wires and plug wires like everything is basically rebuilt and this is my problem anybody please please help

Old 07-03-2022, 09:20 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

If it was me, I would pull the alternator off and have it tested. Assuming it is good, double check your wiring and if there are any fusible links.... Then it is probably the regulator inside the computer.
Again, if it was me, I would try mounting an external regulator and wiring it up. I have seen links out there explaining how to do this.

Edit to add this youtube video I found.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...tail&FORM=VIRE

Last edited by 93 ragtop; 07-03-2022 at 09:26 AM.
Old 07-03-2022, 10:36 AM
Chetti2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop
If it was me, I would pull the alternator off and have it tested. Assuming it is good, double check your wiring and if there are any fusible links.... Then it is probably the regulator inside the computer.
Again, if it was me, I would try mounting an external regulator and wiring it up. I have seen links out there explaining how to do this.

Edit to add this youtube video I found.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...tail&FORM=VIRE
I appreciate you for any assistance that you were able to give so appreciated I'm reading these sometimes and like I feel like okay that sounds like my problem and I get to and then it turns out to be like something weird so I appreciate any little input I can get

Old 07-03-2022, 11:57 AM
hidden1
Captain
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Mine was the diode in the alternator, but 01-Regulator is on the inside -, it tested great an then after driving ,no charge.The old trucks have regulator on the outside or you can put a better regulater on it..
Double check grounds an any fusable links too.

Last edited by hidden1; 07-03-2022 at 05:39 PM.
Old 07-03-2022, 03:40 PM
bronze
Record Breaker
Received 425 Likes on 364 Posts

I just finished up a thread titled “Voltage Regulator”. Should be fairly close to the top of the list. Might be worth your time to go thru it since it seems I’m an expert on external voltage regulators these days albeit reluctantly.

The following users liked this post:
tndakman (07-04-2022)
Old 07-20-2022, 12:59 AM
Princess_Kota
Amateur
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Check for any rubbed wires from the alternator, though I'm sure you're meticulously checked everything to do with them. But honestly, it's entirely possible you got a crappy alternator. I've heard of people getting bad alternators from parts stores back to back to back. The fusible links are often a headache to deal with from what I've heard too. I'll be honest I don't know a whole lot but I'm doing my best. I don't have anybody irl to give me advice or bounce ideas off of so I know how frustrating it can be to deal with all this yourself. You can try looking up things that make alternators prematurely fail, I can't recall exactly what they are but I've heard of stuff like that.

Quick Reply: Alternator not charging