1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

AC Evaporator

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2022, 09:05 PM
KlickMaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC Evaporator

I will soon be replacing the AC system in my 96 Dodge dakota and I am just wondering where the evaporator would be? I read online it is often times behind the dash but does anyone happen to know the exact location?

Old 09-12-2022, 10:21 PM
bronze
Record Breaker
Received 439 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by KlickMaker;[url=tel:3551310
3551310[/url]]I will soon be replacing the AC system in my 96 Dodge dakota and I am just wondering where the evaporator would be? I read online it is often times behind the dash but does anyone happen to know the exact location?
Just curious. What are you replacing your AC system with? A stock replacement or an under dash unit?

Old 09-12-2022, 10:31 PM
KlickMaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bronze
Just curious. What are you replacing your AC system with? A stock replacement or an under dash unit?
A stock replacement. I got the truck with the AC not working so I am not sure if some parts work or not. I just want to know where everything is just in case I have to rip it all out and start over.

Old 09-13-2022, 08:01 AM
bronze
Record Breaker
Received 439 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by KlickMaker;[url=tel:3551320
3551320[/url]]A stock replacement. I got the truck with the AC not working so I am not sure if some parts work or not. I just want to know where everything is just in case I have to rip it all out and start over.
that’s a big undertaking. Yes the evaporator is behind the dash. I couldn’t tell you exactly where but the dash has to come out one way or the other. Then all those tubes, condenser, compressor, fittings, etc. Finding all the parts. Then have it actually work?

I’d at least compare it to an under dash system. I know little about them so that could turn up being a joke too but I think it’s worth evaluating.

Old 09-13-2022, 09:07 AM
onemore94dak
Champion
Received 134 Likes on 126 Posts

It is basically behind r in front of depending on how you look at it, the heater. I looked it up in my fsm and the first page chap 24 shows a diagram of it. I thought that was it because when I first got it I did not understand why my AC compressor kept kicking on and off when I was using the defrost. So while at the dealer getting parts I asked a mechanic. Apparently the defrost gets it s heat from the AC system. Now that I have seen the diagram I assume its the evaporator in the heater box that is giving up the heat. That is probably a faster way to get the defrost hot than waiting for the engine to warm up.

Old 09-13-2022, 04:48 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Originally Posted by onemore94dak
It is basically behind r in front of depending on how you look at it, the heater. I looked it up in my fsm and the first page chap 24 shows a diagram of it. I thought that was it because when I first got it I did not understand why my AC compressor kept kicking on and off when I was using the defrost. So while at the dealer getting parts I asked a mechanic. Apparently the defrost gets it s heat from the AC system. Now that I have seen the diagram I assume its the evaporator in the heater box that is giving up the heat. That is probably a faster way to get the defrost hot than waiting for the engine to warm up.
A/C can cool air, that's it. Any heat it generates is up at the condenser, and that doesn't help you in the cab..... The purpose for running the a/c compressor on defrost is, refrigerated air, carries less moisture, so, on those muggy days when the air feels like a wet blanket, the defrost/defog actually does something, instead of make it worse.

The following 2 users liked this post by HeyYou:
onemore94dak (09-14-2022), tndakman (09-14-2022)
Old 09-14-2022, 09:33 AM
onemore94dak
Champion
Received 134 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
A/C can cool air, that's it. Any heat it generates is up at the condenser, and that doesn't help you in the cab..... The purpose for running the a/c compressor on defrost is, refrigerated air, carries less moisture, so, on those muggy days when the air feels like a wet blanket, the defrost/defog actually does something, instead of make it worse.
Somebody told me something about assuming once

Quick Reply: AC Evaporator