1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Hesitation,and low idle fix for me

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2022, 01:22 PM
pcdarks
Amateur
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Hesitation,and low idle fix for me

I have a 1994 Dakota with a 3.9l V6. Lately I have had an usually low idle that would die at lights and stop signs. I also had a hesitation or stumble coming off of no throttle or neutral throttle just maintaining speed. I had recently replaced my Throttle Position Sensor. I read about the TPS modification and tried it. My initial voltage was .62 volts and I raised it to .83 with the mod. As I have a Gen1 truck I read here from a post from J and J Auto that Gen1 can go up to 1-1.25 volts.

http://www.dodgedakota.net/boards/v6/15454.html

I now have no hesitation and my idle does not drop so low letting off the throttle and is much smoother. The acceleration is also smoother. I have driven it all morning doing errands with a lot of starts and stops and shutting it down and restarting.This is in cold weather (it's warmed up to 18 degrees). This post isn't for all the guys out there that want to say it won't work. For you guys just scroll on. This worked for me and may be worth a try for some people. Good Luck.

The following users liked this post:
bronze (11-15-2022)

Quick Reply: Hesitation,and low idle fix for me