1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Fuel Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2023, 02:13 AM
C.Taylor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Gauge

96 3.9 L extended cab gas gauge reads empty. PO put in a new fuel pump last year and said the fuel sender was part of it but that didn’t fix the gauge.
can I access the pump/sender from the top
if I remove the bed? I think that might be easier than dropping the tank since I have no good way of knowing how much fuel remains in it, plus I want to clean up the frame anyway.
Any tips on fuel sender fixes or other possible causes for inop fuel gauge is appreciated.

Old 01-18-2023, 09:08 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Yeah, pump module drops into the tank from on top. If it isn't installed in the correct orientation, gas gauge can do some funny stuff. I might be tempted to just reach up in there though, unplug the electrical connector, and short the pins for the gauge, see if the gauge moves.

I do believe you can do a cluster test on yours as well. Ignition off, press, and hold the trip reset button, turn ignition on, when the test starts, let go of the button. All lights should come on, and all gauges should run thru their full sweep.

Old 01-18-2023, 11:27 AM
bronze
Record Breaker
Received 439 Likes on 376 Posts

Was easier lifting one side of the bed on my 93 to get to the top of my gas tank. 8 bolts hold the bed on (I was missing 3 so I'm glad I went this route). Also crank tube for spare tire needed removing and I believe filler neck on flap side. Was not difficult at all.

Quick Reply: Fuel Gauge