1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

New member with a crank no start 1995 dodge Dakota

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2023, 04:13 PM
rodeohand28
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member with a crank no start 1995 dodge Dakota

Crank, No start issue on 1995 3.9l dodge dakota.
truck has set for 6 years and was running when parked. I soaked cylinders prior to starting also replaced fuel pump and sucked out all old fuel and replaced with fresh. Installed new battery and truck cranked but will not start. I could hear fuel pump priming system, so turned key 3 times then tried to start at no avail. I can spray starting fluid in TB and it will bust off until it burns that off. So no fuel is my problem? Checked compression on all 6 cylinders and they are at 150 plus. I have not checked with fuel pressure gauge but I am getting fresh fuel to the shrader valve? I also checked for injectors clicking with a stethoscope and they are not pulsing? Getting code 54 when checking blinking CIL . Checked all fuses and they all check good! Checked all relays and wiring harness and found a break in the ASD splice.(maybe from me pulling on it trying to get tape off?) Repaired this section of wire and still no start. Checked for power to pick up coil with key on and it’s 8v so that’s getting power. Also checked ground and it’s good. Replaced pickup coil anyway and still no start. Checked crank sensor voltage and also 8v with key on and good ground. Replaced this anyhow and still a crank no start. So what would y’all go to next lol this belonged to my father in law and he has passed and wife would be ecstatic if I could get it going! My thoughts is pull injectors and try and clean them? Maybe clogged pretty good from setting? PCM may be the issue? I think fuel pump is not running pass prime ? Fuel pump Not running while trying to start?

Last edited by rodeohand28; 02-13-2023 at 04:26 PM.
Old 02-13-2023, 06:10 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,199 Likes on 2,951 Posts

No fuel sync during engine rotation.

Sounds like bad cam sensor. (that's the one under the distributor cap.) Parts store probably calls it a pickup coil.....

Old 02-13-2023, 06:51 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 132 Likes on 124 Posts

The last post on the linked page is a description of how to set your fuel synchronization manually. It is normally done with a scanner.
http://www.dodgedakota.net/boards/v6/7825.html
There is also a factory service manual for 1995 in the FAQ section that you can download. It probably has troubleshooting measures in it to go step by step to figure this out.

Old 02-13-2023, 07:14 PM
rodeohand28

Originally Posted by onemore94dak
The last post on the linked page is a description of how to set your fuel synchronization manually. It is normally done with a scanner.
http://www.dodgedakota.net/boards/v6/7825.html
There is also a factory service manual for 1995 in the FAQ section that you can download. It probably has troubleshooting measures in it to go step by step to figure this out.
I just downloaded the service manual and I have already swapped the part in the distributor and still no start?

Old 02-13-2023, 07:29 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 132 Likes on 124 Posts

I read your post and figured maybe the fuel sync, which most people do not know about, is out since the code 54 and you changing out the cam sensor did not make it start.
Otherwise going through the manuals troubleshooting steps is all I could do. Reading over the FAQ page might call something you know about this truck o your attention too as it lists a lot of "common" problems people have had and the fixes they used.

Old 02-13-2023, 07:59 PM
rodeohand28

Originally Posted by onemore94dak
I read your post and figured maybe the fuel sync, which most people do not know about, is out since the code 54 and you changing out the cam sensor did not make it start.
Otherwise going through the manuals troubleshooting steps is all I could do. Reading over the FAQ page might call something you know about this truck o your attention too as it lists a lot of "common" problems people have had and the fixes they used.
thank you for replying though and I will definitely keep that sync in my arsenal! Thanks again

Old 02-15-2023, 06:23 AM
Princess_Kota
Amateur
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine also sat for 6 years before I bought it and it needed a fuel filter. It was running poorly before my father in law replaced it. Don't know if that's the issue but may be worth checking? I see you're in OK so I'm assuming you don't deal much with road salt, but it might be worth checking your electrical connectors and unplugging and plugging them in a few times to make sure they've got good connections. I fixed a few things on my truck doing this and used a needle file on some of them. I'm not a real mechanic so there's my 2 cents. Hope it helps.

The following 2 users liked this post by Princess_Kota:
rodeohand28 (02-15-2023), tndakman (02-15-2023)
Old 02-15-2023, 02:54 PM
rodeohand28

Originally Posted by Princess_Kota
Mine also sat for 6 years before I bought it and it needed a fuel filter. It was running poorly before my father in law replaced it. Don't know if that's the issue but may be worth checking? I see you're in OK so I'm assuming you don't deal much with road salt, but it might be worth checking your electrical connectors and unplugging and plugging them in a few times to make sure they've got good connections. I fixed a few things on my truck doing this and used a needle file on some of them. I'm not a real mechanic so there's my 2 cents. Hope it helps.
thanks for the reply, the fuel filter was on the bottom of the fuel pump when I pulled it? Now that you mentioned I will look on frame rail and see if there is an inline filter! I plan on running a actual fuel pressure test this weekend and hopefully find some issues there ! This truck was a northern truck (Wisconsin) and that also could be some issues ? So I’ll see what I come up with when I check actual fuel pressure and will check the connections! Thanks again!!

Old 02-17-2023, 06:24 PM
rodeohand28
Default Update on my situation

Today I got some noid lights and checked every injector at the connector and all had pulse!! So that’s a good sign! Picked up a fuel pressure gauge and low and behold there is only 37lbs of fuel pressure!! Check for inline fuel filter and there is not one. Pulled plug on pump and checked for a good ground and it’s good. Checked for power (which I know it’s getting just wasn’t sure of voltage) on the plug and it 12.6 while cranking! Took the needle out of shrader valve and took fuel line off at the pump and blew compressed air through the lines in case they may have been clogged!! Hooked it all back up and checked pressure again and it’s still 37lbs but it’s trying to start!!!!! I am pretty sure this new fuel pump is not pumping enough? Going to try another unless y’all have anymore insight ? Will get back when I get it knocked out!

Old 02-17-2023, 06:58 PM
bronze
Record Breaker
Received 425 Likes on 364 Posts

I have a '93 and the fuel filter is on the inside frame, drivers side about mid way. But my understanding is they put the fuel filter there for only a very short time. Like maybe a couple/few years. Otherwise, I'm guessing the only other place would be in the gas tank.

Quick Reply: New member with a crank no start 1995 dodge Dakota